Modern Gretsch Guitars

Do you own two of the exact same model?

I read a lot of posts (not just on gdp) where people say this guitar was so good i went and bought a second one...which to me is the stupidest thing ive ever read.

Why own lets say 2 identical dsw's or 2 identical fender strats?????

If you're in a band that is touring most of the year and playin shows almost every night it makes perfect sense to have a back up, it's just a smart idea. Other than that I don't really see the point.

I have a 5129 and a 5124, but the 5129 has Dynas in it, and a different bridge.

As Mac said, if you play enough, sometimes you need a backup that's close, or the same as your main guitar.

Setzer has like 3 or 4 59 6120s I think, not to mention all the RI 6120s.

Mine aren't identical,but close-2 Gents,a '63 and a '64;4 Strats,a '64,an '83,a homebuilt,and a Squier; 3 Teles,a '75,a '96,a '99,plus a G&L ASAT and a MIM '50s Esquire. I suppose the duplications aren't really necessary,but I like having them around.

Just scored my 2nd vintage 60s 6117, send payment off yesterday. YEAH!!

Except this one will be getting the Filters out of Tavo's recent HotRod. A very inexpensive way to cure my 6120 gas......and keep Brooklyn born pieces alive. The wood has aged, with tone/mojo @ 1000%.

Plus I LOVE that classic sunburst.

I read a lot of posts (not just on gdp) where people say this guitar was so good i went and bought a second one...which to me is the stupidest thing ive ever read.

– Ian Connolly

That's not the stupidest, but this might be...

– Bob Howard

– bob howard

I wish they would have put a sign on the one I used at Home Depot yesterday. 8-o

If you are a gigging musician, I can certainly see the need for duplicates, but for the home player, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I have 2 Jeff Beck strats, but they are totally different. One is the first year 91 with Lace Senser pickups and fat neck, and the other is an 01 with hot noiseless pickups with the regular neck and the contoured neck heel. I still need a seafoam green one! 8-)

I'd like to get another 6118T. I love the size, scale and feel, especially the ones with trestle bracing. And the color! But I would swap the pickups for Dynas in one.

Joe, forgive me if you know this already, but if you put F'Trons in that Annie you're going to have to chop the holes bigger.

Joe, forgive me if you know this already, but if you put F'Trons in that Annie you're going to have to chop the holes bigger.

– Deke Martin

– Deke Martin

Hi Deke,

Yep, I know, which is why I was looking for a 2nd 6117. Can't bring myself to do it on my original one, which was my 1st Gretsch, and already sounds sooo good.

Can't afford a vintage 6120, and these vintage Double Annies are going for cheaper, if not the same for a MIJ version (which doesn't have the aging factored in, to open up the wood. Plus, it keeps me in the color scheme I prefer, place of manufacture I prefer, etc.

There's no other feel like a vintage Gretsch.

Tavo's filters are the basic ones with no wings, so that may hopefully bring the cutting to a minimum.

– Ian Connolly

I was gonna weigh in, but...that would be stupid. :|

I have two Dillion DR-500's, but one is green with a stop tail and the other is purple with a vibrato. Originally I wanted a green one with a whammy bar, but they didn't seem to be available, so I settled for the purple one. About a year later the green ones were available again, so I snagged the stop tail version, which has a richer, darker tone and more sustain, so I kept 'em both.

For a while I had a blue one too, that had been modded with a toggle swith instead of rotary, which I bid very low on eBay and ended up winning (to my surprise).

I have 2 Danelectro DC basses, mainly because: 1. They were cheap at the time, although the Korean ones seem to be getting more pricey lately; 2. I'm left handed, and not inclined to let lefty basses get away; 3. One will stay as-is, and one will be heavily customized. Don't have 2 Gretsches, because I can't. My Broadkaster is the only lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen.

I also don't get owning two identical guitars (if you are not a gigging musician, that is), but hey - it's your money, and if you want them, who am I to say you nay? Go for it.

I have five Squier Super-Sonics. They came in four colours (so one of each), and I bought a second silver sparkle one to heavily mod into a coral pink esquire. All five have different pickups and electronics, so they all sound different but feel exactly the same. The white one has two humbuckers, the black one has one stacked strat humbucker, the blue sparkle one has three strat pickups, the silver sparkle one has P-Rails, and the coral pink one has a stacked esquire / tele humbucker. Again, they all sound different.

i don't really see the point of having two identical guitars, though i understand the backup-guitar thing, simply because trying to get two guitars to sound the same even when they're specced identically has always been a futile process for me. i do have pairs of similar guitars, but they're quite different. the Strats have different pickups and different fingerboards, and the carved-top Les Pauls are constructed differently: one is an all-maple Custom and the other a traditional Standard. thus, they sound quite different to each other. i could easily see having another FilterTron-equipped Jet to go with my Dyna-ed Pro Jet, because they'd sound different enough that they wouldn't be redundant; i've also considered building a maple-necked Esquire to complement my rosewood-boarded Tele.

I would propose (if only to rationalize my own addiction) that having two (or more) of a "vintage" Gretsch model is more acceptable. For one thing, the vintage models have a lot more variblity between them, even examples of the same model within the same batch can sound/play differently. Secondly, for some higher-end models, there's the investment potential. If you have a '57 6120 and another comes along at a really great price, it would be hard for some of us to "kick it out of bed". No... instead you grab it, and tell the wife that it's an investment, and that you plan to flip it for a profit, and then don't.

I have 6 vintage 1950s Streamliner examples at the moment. These were my entry into the world of vntage Gretsch guitars, and when I found another for a good price, I would grab it, as they are just fun to own and play. I will admit that most have different finishes, and are slightly different model years ('53-58), but I still find myself reaching for my wallet when I see them come up for auction these days, even though I've moved on in my Gretsch obsession to other models. Luckily I've been successful controlling the Streamliner obsession last few years.

Maybe I'm just stupid. :|

I have 2 Danelectro DC basses, mainly because: 1. They were cheap at the time, although the Korean ones seem to be getting more pricey lately; 2. I'm left handed, and not inclined to let lefty basses get away; 3. One will stay as-is, and one will be heavily customized. Don't have 2 Gretsches, because I can't. My Broadkaster is the only lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen.

– Chris Blood

– GI Brat

What?? A left-handed Gretsch bass? "Pics, please!" cries a fellow lefty.

Paul/FF909

Almost everyone has described their multiples as actually being different from one another, either in finish, pickups, or other features. That doesn't seem to align with Tim_Falcon's question.

The only instrument I've owned multiples of is... no, wait, it was a Hofner 500/1 bass, and I got one to back up the other, but they were different iterations.

Closest I've ever gotten to "identical" was a pair of Metropolitan Tanglewoods (a Robin Guitars product), one in seafoam green and the other in shell pink; and I bought the second one because it was the color I really wanted (they were pretty hard to find in any color), and because they only built about 10 left-handed examples total, so there was that rarity/investment consideration. That was enough points for me to say I had a point; even so, I only kept them both for a year or so, and sold the first one for a 114% profit.

I'm almost pretty sure that I wasn't stupid. :D

Paul/FF909

it strikes me, now that i'm more awake, that the obvious reason more people don't have two identical guitars is cost. for most of us, if we're going to spend to acquire another guitar we want different sounds and functionality than we already have.

I have 2 G3100 acoustics. For whatever reason it is "the" acoustic guitar for me. I've played many acosutics over the years and I fell in love with the 3100. So did my oldest son. I promised him if he made straight As on his report card that I would give him my G3100. Either way I win. I get two acoustics that I love. If he makes straight As, he doesn't get my favorite acoustic guitar.

It makes sense to me to have 2 of them in case one of them has a little accident. This is entirely possible considering I have two small children at home. They tend to get into things they aren't supposed to touch from time to time.

I'll just call the second guitar insurance. Its not like the G3100s are expensive guitars. I paid under 400 dollars for each of them with hardshell cases. I can justify that cost. It took me over 2 years to find a good deal on a 3100 on Ebay.

Hey, GI Brat,

Thank you!

Is that a modern (1989 or later) bass? If not, could you supply a serial number? This is quite a revelation to me. If it's modern, there must be at least 12 out there. If it's vintage, it may be the only one on Planet Urf.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation