Modern Gretsch Guitars

Difference in White Falcon Models

Looking to get a White Falcon with Filtertrons. Can anyone tell me the difference between the various models? Much appreciated. Brian

That's a pretty big ask... and a book could be filled with the answer. Perhaps you could narrow your inquiry down a bit? Are you interested in the differences between the Falcon models in the current product line? I'll assume you're not focused on the vintage models... but this model has been reissued in a wide variety of feature packages over the past 30-something years.

EDIT: just noticed you mention Filtertrons. That should narrow it down a bit!

Yeah, that's like asking what's the difference between cars.

There are soooo many White Falcons (some of them aren't even white!) with Filtertrons. You really have to be more specific with your needs or wants. Size, fret markers, Bigsby, tuners, bridges, pickguard, center blocks, bracing...it really is an endless smorgasbord for the White Falcon model.

But people here have them, people here know the differences, and people will help you out.

My Falcon is the 7593 model. It is very different from other White Falcons. I like the differences and that's why I went with the 7593. Maybe you dig this one, too.

I always wanted a single cut Falcon but when I got a chance to get one, it was a double cut with the plank down the middle. I could not be more happy and everyone who plays it, says it's the best one they ever played. here

Not interested in Vintage, nor the double cut, so that narrows it down to a few. I think I would prefer nitro finish. I currently have a 6120DSW

I haven't played many Falcons but my favorite one I have played is a Billy Duffy signature model. It resonated well and the bling was understated which I like.

Nitro with Filter-Trons,then the only ones are the 59VS or Stephen Stills sig,Billy Duffy sig or you could look for a used 59LTV.

I'm seeing these: G6136T-59GE,G6136T-59VS and G6136-1958 STEPHEN STILLS SIGNATURE, not sure what the difference is between the 3. Thanks in advance

I mean, I hate to sound testy - but you know all the specs are right there on Gretsch's site, right? Have you done any hard-core research there?

Any time you have to start a sentence off with "I hate to sound testy"......

A model you like the look of might not have a neck you're comfortable with . I suggest playing a few that meet your general specs and see what neck(s) profile blows your skirt up, and then go from there. Pups can always be changed out.

I haven't played many Falcons but my favorite one I have played is a Billy Duffy signature model. It resonated well and the bling was understated which I like.

– BuddyHollywood

What did you think of the 1.71 nut with and neck profile? I can't seem to find one anywhere in LA to check out.

I'm finding some models are not listed on Gretsch's page, at least not by the same model number I find on Reverb or sites like it. Also finding some models that have urethane finish that are more expensive then nitro, that suprises me.

What did you think of the 1.71 nut with and neck profile? I can't seem to find one anywhere in LA to check out.

– LarryR

Is that why it felt great? That makes sense. I have kind of big hands with fat drummer fingers and the neck on the Billy Duffy guitar felt better than any other Gretsch guitar I played at the 2018 NAMM show.

Don't mind Proteus. He's a good kind of testy. And rarely is he actually "testy." But, his point is well-taken. A bit of research on the Gretschguitars.com website would answer many of your questions.

And it would indeed help us understand your inquiry if you were to narrow it down to vintage models or current production models. If you are talking about current production, then you should understand that the VS series of guitars typically follow the traditional and classic appointments and design/construction as the vintage Falcons. But, the Player's Edition models are different beasts than the VS series. The Player's Edition have a more slender body depth (2.25"), they have a string-through Bigsby, and the bracing is the "ML" style of bracing, which will provide a little resistance to feedback. On the other hand, the VS 1955 Falcon has no Bigsby, tone bars and is a full 2.75" in depth. The 1959 has trestle bracing.

All of this stuff can be seen on the Gretsch website.

Ric12string, thanks for the input. The G6136T-LTV seems very similar to the G6136T-59V. Cant find the difference between the two. Anyone know? Unless I'm just getting snow blind from looking at the specs. Thanks

Ric12string, thanks for the input. The G6136T-LTV seems very similar to the G6136T-59V. Cant find the difference between the two. Anyone know? Unless I'm just getting snow blind from looking at the specs. Thanks

– electro1

Pretty much the same guitar. The LTV was replaced with the Vintage Select Series.

Some minor electrical upgrades like the foil and oil caps.

Great deals can be had on LTV's, just have to be patient if you're going used.

And no one has mentioned it so far, but the 59GE and the 59VS are the same model... Only thing different is that when the Vintage Select line first came out, it was known as the Golden Era (GE) line for a very short period of time before they changed it to "VS"... The specs are the same. Hope this helps.

Thanks all no wonder I was confused. Now I start my search for a used one!

Register Sign in to join the conversation