Modern Gretsch Guitars

decent Gent deal?

Yup. Still, $1500 sounds a little too good to be true. Fell off a truck?

DCBirdman, those are great guitars. The wide fretboard is particularly pleasant to play on. I wouldn't be terribly put off by the scale length. You would quickly adapt. And that is a very good price. I would recommend that you check it out, if only to flip it and pick up a few bucks.

Okay, I just went and reviewed all the Gent model neck specs: the site says that they are all 25.5". That's not the case is it?

I was looking at that very Gent for awhile (before I ended up finding a dream of deal on a TVJones SSS). I never actually saw it in person but was considering it. In the long run it's just as well, as I already have a HOF 6122-1959.

DC, I'm pretty sure the modern-era 6122-1958 had the non-toxic shorter scale.

I think they're discontinued now. Identifiable at a glance by the Aluminium Bigsby.

Okay, I just went and reviewed all the Gent model neck specs: the site says that they are all 25.5". That's not the case is it?

– lx

I think that it may well be the case now. However, the former G6122-1958 model, I believe, had the shorter 24.6" scale length.

EDIT: I had not seen your remarks, Ade. Sorry to be redundant.

Good thing I don't have the finances right now. I'd probably jump on that pdq.

DC, I'm pretty sure the modern-era 6122-1958 had the non-toxic shorter scale.

I think they're discontinued now. Identifiable at a glance by the Aluminium Bigsby.

– ade

Yep, the discontinued 6122-58 has a short scale neck, larger head stock, brass nut, and Electrotone deep body.

Love mine for all the above reasons.

Come on .....so it has the longer scale. Put a capo on the second fret and off you go. This is probably the finest model Gretsch has every produced. Paul Yandell basically did all the research from Chet's original '59 with the added Supertron Chet favored to get the best features for the reissue. If I saw it for sale here I'd snap it up if just to flip it! The '58 reissue isn't as nice a guitar if the wider neck width is something you favor.

I thought I had heard hear that with Gents of The Modern World the double cuts were normal 24.6 and single cuts were 25.5. I would have to sell one of my Les Paul B-benders (one need one) to get this tho. Still ain't nothing beating the killer wide neck of my Rick 650... a shade over 1 3/4

There were only a handful of vintage single cutaway Gents with the 25.5" scale. I used to own one (a '57) and it also had the wider 1 3/4" neck width. I'm with DCBirdMan. I didn't dig the scale or width at all.

For modern Gents, only this and the base model (no longer made?) 6122-II have the longer scale.

It wasn't too good to be true. I contacted the guy, and had the $1550 ready in cash to go grab it. On 12/30, he replied that it had been sold - I had looked at it for about a week before that....and was kicking myself for not moving faster.

Great Gretsch IMO. Bought one a few years ago and it took me some time to the width of the neck. If you thumb over, it's a beast.

Great Gretsch IMO. Bought one a few years ago and it took me some time to the width of the neck. If you thumb over, it's a beast.

– Hogman

I agree, but it's worth it.

The new one definately is the 25.5" scale as that's the type Billy Zoom modded for the most recent X tour. With a Dyna and a P-90 it sure didn't sound like Chet but boy it sounded (and looked) great.

– Hogman

Really. That's interesting. I have to assume, owning several guitars with the wider neck and none of them an issue....now, that the neck's thickness make using your thumb to chord tough. What's the profile of the this guitar's neck? I've never had the chance to play this model and see how the neck feels.

As I've mentioned here on previous occasions, my '72 SC has the wider neck, 1.80" actually and came with a deep D-shape neck. The bottom of the neck was flat all the way up. Now that was a beast to try and fret with my thumb but I solved the problem by having my luthier take down the neck to match the profile of my '98 Gibson CG, which is a shallow C-shape. Can't tell the two apart now.

My point is, if everything else about the guitar is what you want, thin down the neck!...an easy fix.

Register Sign in to join the conversation