Modern Gretsch Guitars

DeArmond noise canceling?

Hi all, a while back someone was selling a noise canceling unit for DeArmonds. I am interested in this. Anyone have knowledge of this apparatus? Thanks!

Ilitch Electronics that Journey Man had?

Just thinking off the top of my head, would it be possible to wire a dummy coil inline to effectively hum cancel the Dearmond?

I had a Guild with DeArmonds, and when both pickups were selected, they were quiet ( humbucking) Only got the single coil noise ( and very little of that actually) when either pickup was selected individually. So between songs I just made sure the switch was in the middle position.

Fralin pickups have their hum cancelling P90 and an alnico rod version of the same in DeArmond shells now, but I don't think that's what you had in mind?

Ilitch Electronics that Journey Man had?

– Daddy Dog

Probably! It was something you could install.

Just thinking off the top of my head, would it be possible to wire a dummy coil inline to effectively hum cancel the Dearmond?

– JazzBoxJunky

That's more or less what the Illitch System is.

Hi all, a while back someone was selling a noise canceling unit for DeArmonds. I am interested in this. Anyone have knowledge of this apparatus? Thanks!

– Powertronman

Yes, that was me. The thing is, in order for the Illich coil to work, the pickups cannot be reverse wound-reverse polarity. You can either have a new set of T-Armonds wound that way, or talk to a pickup winder about modifying an existing set of Dearmond type pickups.I don't know if that is possible though. The Illich system does work very well, and it will fit inside a hollow body guitar.

Yes, that was me. The thing is, in order for the Illich coil to work, the pickups cannot be reverse wound-reverse polarity. You can either have a new set of T-Armonds wound that way, or talk to a pickup winder about modifying an existing set of Dearmond type pickups.I don't know if that is possible though. The Illich system does work very well, and it will fit inside a hollow body guitar.

– Journeyman

Hi Journeyman, if the coils are not reverse wound, will it be silent in all positions? Also, are you saying it won’t fit in a Dou-Jet? Thanks!

Hi Journeyman, if the coils are not reverse wound, will it be silent in all positions? Also, are you saying it won’t fit in a Dou-Jet? Thanks!

– Powertronman

Both pickups need to be the same polarity. If they're silent in the middle position, then one of them is RWRP and the Illitch system won't work. Look at their website, if I recall correctly, they do make a system for solid bodies that fits inside the control cavity. The one for hollowbodies won't work in a solid.

Rhythmisking's info in the previous post is correct. The owner at Ilitch made this coil as a custom order to fit inside a 6120. It eliminates the hum in all positions and there is no loss of frequencies; I had a temporary switch take it in and out of the circuit before final instillation to make sure of that. It wasn't cheap, but really did work well. If you want to go ahead with getting one for your Duo Jet, write or give him a call and see what he can make that will fit.

Register Sign in to join the conversation