Modern Gretsch Guitars

Custom Shop Quicksilver Penguin

I stopped by TrueTone to drop off some guitars for them to sell on consignment for me, and of course, besides one of those copper Falcons, which was pretty lovely, Sunir said "Hey, you should have a look at this!" Still in the box, he pulled out some of the box materials, then a strap and I said "Uh-oh, there's a strap in the box, that means Custom Shop!" And sure enough, it was. After the success of the Quicksilver Falcon that he got in (and a GDPer took home soon afterward), they decided to do a Quicksilver Penguin in not-heavy relic. The case alone is pretty hip looking, but the guitar itself is absolutely killer. Wish I could've hung out more and played it a bunch.

He also said he bought one of the Virtual NAMM Custom Shop Gretsches, which should be here in a week or so, a Brazilian Falcon, with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. Done up NOS (no relic), it's purportedly the ultimate Falcon, or some such thing. That one will be way out of my budget.

That case is so cool. Looks like something Elvis wore

Damn you Frank for putting this out there where I can see it. And a day late at that. I just ordered a can seemer on Friday to start canning beer, I would have much preferred this. Perhaps no one will want it and it will still be available in a few months. Although I am not sure I will like the "not-heavy relic".

The bridge, pickups & surrounds are tinted black, perhaps a light black anodize on pickups & tru-arc bridge. A translucent black for the surrounds. The hardware (Bigsby, knobs, tuners, etc) are a dark black. All look & feel anodized to me but perhaps the Bigsby is powder coated. Perhaps parts are stainless & have some other finish. This is for the Quicksilver Falcon.

Is it the pic or is the case missing the embossed interlocking rectangles the vintage ones have? Is that so it’s harder for the unscrupulous to try to pass as vintage?

Is it the pic or is the case missing the embossed interlocking rectangles the vintage ones have? Is that so it’s harder for the unscrupulous to try to pass as vintage?

– 66gent

I believe you are correct sir. Good eye! It should look more textured (like this amp) if it had the embossed design. Still, I'm glad Gretsch brought this back.

I believe you are correct sir. Good eye! It should look more textured (like this amp) if it had the embossed design. Still, I'm glad Gretsch brought this back.

– lx

I’m not sure they’re available for sale separately. A few years ago I had inquired about a 50’s style snowflake case after seeing one in a CS ad and was told they were not for sale. Be super cool if that’s changed

Hmm, can seamer or a guitar, beer or music, wow, these are tough choices. Sorry I didn’t get this info sooner so I could have passed it along.

– 66gent

The original "snowflake" cases were common from about '56 thru '59 (give or take). The style that this CS reissue case emulates was a slightly later version of the vintage style... early 60s.

The original "snowflake" cases were common from about '56 thru '59 (give or take). The style that this CS reissue case emulates was a slightly later version of the vintage style... early 60s.

– kc_eddie_b

Yes - I was referring the snowflake just to say it wasn’t available for sale separately so I’m assuming this style wouldn’t be either, but I may be wrong. I know the tweeds, at least in Jet size, are available, and I believe you can get a modern cowboy as well. But I’d love to see ALL the vintage styles reissued.

What about the binding? I can't see it clearly in the photos. Is it just BWB, or is there a silver sparkle element in there?

I don't know about the binding, but I asked, and will relay on the answer when I get it. That should be soon, as I have to stop by there this afternoon to drop off the stock pickups for one of the guitars I'm selling.

So I talked with Sunir this afternoon and he said the binding is called Black Pearl. Not sparkle, and not standard white/black/white.

While I was there, a couple of photo ops caught my eye. They'd been using the store for a movie shoot on Saturday, and had put up an attractive display of guitars, that was still on the wall today:

Then this kind of jumped out at me. An Italia, the likes of which I ain't seen in a NAMM Show ever. MOTS finish on the neck, cherry red top, two single-coil pickups in the "sound hole" in the middle (with the big "I" for Italia in the middle of it), a volume control, a front-to-back (can't really call it "neck" or "bridge") blend knob, and as best I can tell, a 3-band active EQ. Played nice, sounded OK plugged in, and talk about an attention-getter. But I'm pretty sure I'm not cool enough to play a guitar like this.

Here is a view of the Quicksilver Falcon binding.

That binding's crazy! Looks like thin black, thin white, thick black, thin white, white sparkle, black sparkle. Super-cool!

Here is a view of the Quicksilver Falcon binding.

– RcktBrewMan

I have the same "Black Pearloid" fret marker dots on my 2017 Fender American Elite Stratocaster. A funny thing, I though at first there was some kind of defect in the maple fretboard finish, that was making white streaks and flecks in the dots. On closer examination under a bench lamp, the Pearloid jumped out at me and made itself known. I did a quick look at Fender website and lo and behold, "Black Pearloid Dot Fret Markers" was buried in the specs page.

I love the look of it on the Quicksilver Falcon, I bet it sparkles in the light. CS guitars are above my pay grade (at least for now), I just spent a lot of money on the 6131T PE Firebird Duo Jet, and I won't be buying any expensive guitars for a good while. A guy can dream though!

Register Sign in to join the conversation