Modern Gretsch Guitars

Current cases - wow

So the case that came with my G6119 20 years ago is almost as heavy as the guitar, the thing is a tank. I picked up a 5420 not long ago and I was looking at cases the other day, the $170 one. Man that thing seems flimsy. I would buy a padded gig bag before I'd shell out $170 on the case.

Anyhow, I dig the guitar!

Get a used case. It doesn't have to be a Gretsch one. Get a better case and save $100

Most acoustic cases fit really close.

TKL, SKB and Gator all make good cases at reasonable prices. I believe TKL makes the Gretsch-branded cases, so they will be virtually identical (just no logo) for less $$.

I hadn't really compared them but the one on my wife's G5420T seems pretty sturdy. I mean, I wouldn't stand on it but I feel safer with it in there for transport.

I got the TKL Gretsch-branded case for my 5120. Very sturdy case, and fits well.

I got the TKL Gretsch-branded case for my 5120. Very sturdy case, and fits well.

– same_guy

That's a beauty of a guitar!

I don't really need a case for it, both of my Gretches are on stands in the music room and I only take one to a gig, so no pressing immediate need for a case. But I'll get one at eventually, an off brand or used one. The new ones just seem flimsy compared to my 20 year old one. No doubt they do the trick, but dang for $170 I expect a tank

That's a beauty of a guitar!

I don't really need a case for it, both of my Gretches are on stands in the music room and I only take one to a gig, so no pressing immediate need for a case. But I'll get one at eventually, an off brand or used one. The new ones just seem flimsy compared to my 20 year old one. No doubt they do the trick, but dang for $170 I expect a tank

– Mr_Christopher

Thanks. It's your basic 5120 (2008 model, I put in some Surf 90's), but I love it. Great guitar.

I got the TKL Gretsch-branded case for around a hundred bucks - 2-3 years ago - either off Amazon or MF..

I've had good luck with Musician's Friend cases and Epi cases---all under $100. A flimsy case is just a dust cover. A good case is insurance.

I just picked up an un-branded TKL thinline case for my T5z. Fits almost like custom, leaving me just enough room for the strap and cloth.

Saved nearly $80 over the "real" Taylor case.

Cases with an arched top are much more substantial. A few years ago I got a tweed TKL case with both an arched top and bottom for about $200. It doesn’t say Gretsch on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation