Modern Gretsch Guitars

CS Whiskey Barrel Jet

The pics look great on my desktop.

I don't really care for the look of the wood, but, I'll bet it smells great under hot stage lights.

Looks like a survivor (barely) of the Nashville flood. I'd call it the "driftwood Jet".

Overpriced, Custom Shop or no. Great idea but unique wood or not I don't see it worth $11K.

Another idea would be to use some very old, thick barn boards for a one-off or even FSR Duo Jets, and make them truly solidbody guitars. Leave the deep weathered furrows as is; don't fill them or try to polish them out, just leave them for a wicked rustic look!

I don't know why Rocky has it listed as a "Nashville" - it looks pretty Jet to me - but I like it. I'm not generally a fan of relic'ing and intentional distress, but I guess making it out of materials that are already old is different.

It's certainly the anti-shiny, but I'd let it live at my house.

I don't have 10K to spare, though.

I would like it better if it was a bit lighter in color. Unique, but if I had $11,000 I would probably look at others first.

No thanks....... While I can appreciate the work that must have gone into this guitar, it is NOT going to be an my Bucket List -- ever.

Looks like one could get splinters in the hand from playing it. Splinters are NOT a guitar player's friend.....

I’ve done drunken eBay buys in the past, but never drank a whole barrel.

This was Rocky’s idea 4 years ago. If he’s happy then it’s all good.

What's next? Pallet wood?

– wabash slim

It's been done: archtop by Robert Benedetto made with oak pallet wood just to prove that it's the construction and not just tonewoods that makes the thing work.

I like it. I have a seasoned oak on my property, if I had the skill I would mill some of it and build something similar.

I’m just curious on how much this weighs?

killer! just lose the metal rim thing, Ive got a bad back. I'm all about guitars that arent shiny n glossy new. It would match my dream house.

The only thing I don't like about it is the price.

I'm liking the look of this more every time I see it. Good for Rocky coming up with the idea and execution.

But my brain's running with Ed's idea of a Driftwood Jet; bleached woods with imbedded sand and iodine/kelp stains with bits of dried seaweed. Brass hardware. Abalone Gretsch logo. Real pearl humpblocks of course. A bleached and weathered G brand? Why not. No wait: use the old badge like Gretsch did with some of the early Duo Jets, but make it brass and flush to the top, so that it won't chafe. Yeah.... And like this one: no binding.

The ultimate surfer's find: "I just got out from a good session and I see this guitar sticking out of a sand dune...."

Is the whiskey barrel source in question related to Hatfields or McCoys?

I like it a lot!

K

I'm liking the look of this more every time I see it. Good for Rocky coming up with the idea and execution.

But my brain's running with Ed's idea of a Driftwood Jet; bleached woods with imbedded sand and iodine/kelp stains with bits of dried seaweed. Brass hardware. Abalone Gretsch logo. Real pearl humpblocks of course. A bleached and weathered G brand? Why not. No wait: use the old badge like Gretsch did with some of the early Duo Jets, but make it brass and flush to the top, so that it won't chafe. Yeah.... And like this one: no binding.

The ultimate surfer's find: "I just got out from a good session and I see this guitar sticking out of a sand dune...."

– lx

My first thoughts were, "Man, I'd love to see this in tele form", but a driftwood jet grows on me, as long as it isn't so authentic that it actually gives you splinters, as previously mentioned.

Bravo, Rocky.

That's cool. I like it a lot. If it was less $$ I'd buy one for sure - but it would have to be a LOT less! If I could find the timber I'd like to build some amp cabs like that. I've been keeping my eyes open...

That's cool. I like it a lot. If it was less $$ I'd buy one for sure - but it would have to be a LOT less! If I could find the timber I'd like to build some amp cabs like that. I've been keeping my eyes open...

– JimmyR

Amp cabs? You mean like the original Crate amps?

I would like to stand up in the room and say... dont complain about the cost. This is a one off custom shop dream creation for the wealthy. It's art and wasnt created for you to own it as a regular working man. Face it.. You cant afford to drive a Bentley Continental GT S or a Mercedes AMG S65, and I bet for most of us we couldnt even afford the Roush Mustang JackHammer. :)

These are 1%'r toys.

I would like to stand up in the room and say... dont complain about the cost. This is a one off custom shop dream creation for the wealthy. It's art and wasnt created for you to own it as a regular working man. Face it.. You cant afford to drive a Bentley Continental GT S or a Mercedes AMG S65, and I bet for most of us we couldnt even afford the Roush Mustang JackHammer. :)

These are 1%'r toys.

– TheNocturneBrain

These are 1%'r toys.

I wish this wasn't true.

I could definitely see this in my house...however, nowhere in my house do I see the $11K it would take to actually get it in the door.

Register Sign in to join the conversation