Modern Gretsch Guitars

CS gone wild?

I'm not a fan of this particular CS mutation... but I'm sure there will be those who will stand up for her honor!

i like it....like the symmetrical knots..and the pickguard is cool after a brief refocus! hah

thumbs up

nothin a goldplated bigsby couldn't further enhance

cheers

I second the Gold Plated Bigsby, and I also admire the woodgrain (but that's nothing a good red and black paint job couldn't fix)

that pickguard is poke in the eye. gimme some dark swirlin tortoise w a steer engraved! #rawhide!

Plus 1 on what Tavo said. I would prefer a Bigsby on it but understand and could live with the belt buckle, but that pick guard has to go.

this to me is a perfect example of the truism that just because you can afford something doesn't make it a good idea. there's nothing i like about it at all other than the non-custom aspects (pickups, body shape). i've never liked the G-brand (or Roundups in general), and the color just seems wrong in a way that's harder for my brain to articulate than the sudden lurch and roll of my stomach is to feel. having more money than taste is always sad, but it's particularly unfortunate when it ruins a good design.

I have two serious issues with it:

1. Double cutaway "is not right" for a RoundUp.

2. The pick guard is an eyesore.........

I like mine more...something about this one is "Cracker Barrel" gift shop.

I'm curious about the pickguard. The Custom Shop usually doesn't do dumb things. I'm guessing that the inspiration is the occasionally seen crystalizing tortoise guards. I wonder what it looks like in person?

Custom Shop mutations can be a lot like the GDP’s random number and feature generators. It’s not always evolution at its best, and you wonder if some of the results would be fit to survive.

Still, I bet their mothers love them. I know I have guitars that would be sad orphans if I hadn’t taken them in.

I think of CS guitars as experiments. Art installations. Proof of concept (or not).

They remind me of concept cars that the auto makers parade around car shows. How many of those ever hit the streets.

I could make that thing left handed no problem. With that knotty pine surface nobody would notice all my ineptly-filled-by-plastic-wood hole fixes. Wait, I read Mike2000s thread so I'll use supeglue and sawdust like a total pro.

One showcar that never hit the streets, Bob-

https://roundsixpod.com/201...

And the Norseman was a durn good-looking car in the idiom of the times. There ought to be at least a verse about it in a "Wreck of the Andrea Doria" ballad. The ship and its lore justify such a ballad every bit as much as the Edmund Fitzgerald. You oughta get to work on that, Ade!

The night when the Norseman / and fifty-eight more / Went to their graves / on the Atlantic floor.

I'm curious about the pickguard. The Custom Shop usually doesn't do dumb things. I'm guessing that the inspiration is the occasionally seen crystalizing tortoise guards. I wonder what it looks like in person?

– Afire

I agree afire... I've made that observation in the past as well, that this guard appears to emulate a highly crystalized vintage example. It seems to be their go-to guard for G-brand Round-up models (and their mutations).

I have two serious issues with it:

1. Double cutaway "is not right" for a RoundUp.

2. The pick guard is an eyesore.........

– senojnad

I'm with Senojnad here. And a Jet without a Bigsby? No can do.

Well, you are quite right Proteus, I do like a bit of Mythology and hubris in a song plot. Njǫror and Loki could have crucial, no, pivotal roles in the story.

It's a great looking automobile. Five years ahead on the wheel openings, ten years ahead with the roofline- it's like a mix of '61 Plymouth and a '66 Charger. And behold the Norseman's signature move- a hardtop is seemingly not quite hardtop-enough without ditching the A pillar too.

Italian metalwork is wonderful. They're not much into English wheel, everything is hammer planished. There's some serious stretch-n-shrink on those compound curves all over the entire surface to showcase the amazing craftsmanship.

My favorite story about post-war Italian panel-beaters: a rep for one of the majors was surveying the progress on his commissioned prototype, being worked by a small team in the courtyard of a small villa, using their array of hammers, mauls, and other tools to finesse the body (itself strategically blocked by purposefully contoured tree trunks). Guy did a slow walkaround and observed that certain curves and contours weren't perfectly symmetrical from one side of the car to the other.

The head man of the team observed that no one can see both sides of a car at the same time.

I heard that Willie's "If You Got The Money" is on the Custom Shop's Muzak rotation!

there's one too many things going on here. if you tone down just one or two things, be it the double cutaway, the round up-ness, the finish, the pickguard, the pine... you could have landed this thing. it's closer than it should be but still not for me.

I could make that thing left handed no problem. With that knotty pine surface nobody would notice all my ineptly-filled-by-plastic-wood hole fixes. Wait, I read Mike2000s thread so I'll use supeglue and sawdust like a total pro.

One showcar that never hit the streets, Bob-

https://roundsixpod.com/201...

– ade

After filling that thing with highest octane airplane fuel I could get into it, I'd find the nearest highway, hit the pedal to the metal, and blast down the highway. And when I rolled up to the gig, windows down, in my Norseman! I would make my arrival known to all within a mile of the joint by blasting something like Dwight Yoakam's "Pocket Of A Clown" on my way too powerful car stereo. And then when in the club, I would whip out my new double cut custom shop Gretsch, snort a line right off of the G-Brand, and show those folk who's the new bossman twanger in town. Wait a second, I drive a Saburu :)

Guitar Village

I think the Bigsby arm looks awful, but it might appeal to someone. . .

– Mr Tubs

Mr Tubbs, I think that arm kind of looks like a bathroom wall d*ck graphic.

Guitar Village

I think the Bigsby arm looks awful, but it might appeal to someone. . .

– Mr Tubs

This is much more appealling than the one in the original post. Filtertrons, mud switch, standby switch(!), bar bridge, no G-brand, and of course a Bigsby. But yeah that arm's gotta go, what an atrocity!

Is that half of a horse shoe? blech.

Register Sign in to join the conversation