Modern Gretsch Guitars

Cliff Gallup signature model fate?

Does anyone know the story behind the discontinuation of the Cliff Gallup duo jet? Seems it wasn’t around for very long...

I believe it was always intended to be a one-run CS tribute model, not a permanent part of the regular line. When that batch sold, that was it.

I believe it was always intended to be a one-run CS tribute model, not a permanent part of the regular line. When that batch sold, that was it.

– Proteus

That's completely new to me and I don't think it's true. The Cliff sig was part of the regular pro-series and was made in Japan. They also were priced like that.

The reissue was intented to recreate Cliff's Jet as it originally (!) was. No relicing, no BS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember it as Sascha does. That said, there probably is only a limited market for that guitar. I really love that Gretsch put it out but I also think that it's not a model that a vast number of people were waiting for.

Yes I own one and it’s certainly made in Japan. And I guess it is pretty close to the 53 VS model (in fact the 53 has superior pickups, I have ordered Seymour Duncans for mine). And I understand Cliff Gallup probably has a smaller profile/market than Duane Eddy or Eddie Cochran.
I just thought it a little strange that Gretsch evidently went to quite a lot of trouble to make and licence the guitar (and make it accurately with the fixed arm Bigsby etc) and then stop making it after only, what, two years? It’s not a matter of great importance ultimately (in fact it will help mine retain its value) but I think it’s a little sad that such a legendary and influential figure won’t be represented. Such is life...

At least we can still buy the legendary Bono Falcon. :)

The G6128T-53 is my dream Gretsch. Dopiest move I ever made was selling my 6128TDS some years ago.

I stand corrected.

Or, rather, cower in abject embarrassment, duly chastised.

And I think I remember that some Custom Shop Tribute-level deliverables/case-candy came with the guitar, no? Reproductions of historical Cliff Gallup artifacts? Which is why I thought it must have been Custom Shop.

After all the heart, soul, research, personal effort, and relationship-building Joe C poured into the Gallup project over several years, it's a little disheartening to see the model go away so soon.

Has it turned out that there were just too few buyers aware of Cliff's brilliance and influence, and the model turned out to be mostly the testimony of a few dedicated enthusiasts to his memory? I mean, Jeff freakin' Beck came and played for the introduction, honoring Cliff and discharging his musical debt to the man - kinda commensurate with the effort Joe put in.

Maybe in the end there just weren't enough buyers with the same commitment.

And yeah, the 53VS is pretty much the same guitar.

But still. It's a shame.

I dunno, there's decisions made at the top level about what is to be available and what is to be withdrawn. I had an acoustic guitar project with Fender that was selling well and still got the plug pulled. I never did know why either, they previous production run had sold out in three weeks!

The Cliff Gallup model was a thing of beauty and maybe it served its purpose. Joe did a great job and it's a story that will last and last.

Did Joe ever locate Cliff's Jet?

Did Joe ever locate Cliff's Jet?

– Bryan K.

Nope, there's another story for another day. The trail went cold

Proof positive that the Lord moves in mysterious ways...

At least we can still buy the legendary Bono Falcon. :)

– sascha

Proof positive that the Lord moves in mysterious ways...

Yes, She certainly does! (It's alright, it's alright, it's alright ...)

I stand corrected.

Or, rather, cower in abject embarrassment, duly chastised.

And I think I remember that some Custom Shop Tribute-level deliverables/case-candy came with the guitar, no? Reproductions of historical Cliff Gallup artifacts? Which is why I thought it must have been Custom Shop.

After all the heart, soul, research, personal effort, and relationship-building Joe C poured into the Gallup project over several years, it's a little disheartening to see the model go away so soon.

Has it turned out that there were just too few buyers aware of Cliff's brilliance and influence, and the model turned out to be mostly the testimony of a few dedicated enthusiasts to his memory? I mean, Jeff freakin' Beck came and played for the introduction, honoring Cliff and discharging his musical debt to the man - kinda commensurate with the effort Joe put in.

Maybe in the end there just weren't enough buyers with the same commitment.

And yeah, the 53VS is pretty much the same guitar.

But still. It's a shame.

– Proteus

Mine came in a rather nice period tweed case, it could have been that that influenced your subconscious memory...?! Totally agree with your sentiment by the way.

Aye,and strange they would go to the trouble of photographing and including it in the 2019 catalog ,page 102/3.

Some bean counter has made that decision no doubt.

I dunno, there's decisions made at the top level about what is to be available and what is to be withdrawn. I had an acoustic guitar project with Fender that was selling well and still got the plug pulled. I never did know why either, they previous production run had sold out in three weeks!

The Cliff Gallup model was a thing of beauty and maybe it served its purpose. Joe did a great job and it's a story that will last and last.

– Vince_Ray

By the way Vince, unrelated to the topic at hand, but related to your post-- I have one of your Fender Spook Show models, and it's a great guitar for the money. Never had one of the upper level limited run models, but the Spook Show is a keeper!

Sure wish I could find one of the Outer Space models at a decent price.

I remember it as Sascha does. That said, there probably is only a limited market for that guitar. I really love that Gretsch put it out but I also think that it's not a model that a vast number of people were waiting for.

– Nick45

This.

I just scored what looks like the last CG sig in Europe. Should be here tomorrow. Any body know how many were made?

This.

– Ric12string

I think if you add it up, quite a few people in the worldwide Rockabilly scene bought black duo jets, vintage and new, because of Cliff Gallup. I just think by the time the official Gallup Jet came out, most people who really wanted a single coil jet because of him already had one.

Congrats again UD!

Great score sir.

I always regretted letting that black one go!

I always regretted letting that black one go!

– Uncle Daddy

It's sitting behind me as i type!

Register Sign in to join the conversation