Modern Gretsch Guitars

Classic plus in the bridge of my ‘57 VS Dou Jet

Since I'm getting closer to gigging again, I am wondering if I should put a TVJ Classic Plus (TArmond mount) in the Bridge of my '57 VS Dou Jet? I get a lot of hum when not in the middle position and that's where I want to be tone-wise. I love the guitar sound as-is, but just for gigging purposes. Your thoughts?

My instinct is to say HELLNO, but I'm a Dyna guy. I also love the Classic Plus as a bridge pickup too, though.

I say try it, and let us know how it works.

With a Jet like that, there are no wrong answers. Carry on.

I did exactly that with my '53 VS Jet recently and I love it. It doesn't sound exactly like my '59 VS Jet because (a) the bridges are different - SS vs aluminium, and (b) the Dearmonds are positioned closer to the bridge than on the '59. But they still sound amazing - twangy, full and wonderful with a hair of dirt.

With the neck T-Armond the middle position is not hum-cancelling but it's a fair bit quieter than just a T-Armond by itself. The balance between the two pickups is excellent. I used three shims for the Filter'tron Classic + at the bridge because you want to get it closer than you would the T-Armond.

With the amount of dirt I use (ie not that much) I can get a lovely nasty growl from the bridge position and a cleaner in-between and neck position, but all at around the same level, so for me it works out very well.

I did exactly that with my '53 VS Jet recently and I love it. It doesn't sound exactly like my '59 VS Jet because (a) the bridges are different - SS vs aluminium, and (b) the Dearmonds are positioned closer to the bridge than on the '59. But they still sound amazing - twangy, full and wonderful with a hair of dirt.

With the neck T-Armond the middle position is not hum-cancelling but it's a fair bit quieter than just a T-Armond by itself. The balance between the two pickups is excellent. I used three shims for the Filter'tron Classic + at the bridge because you want to get it closer than you would the T-Armond.

With the amount of dirt I use (ie not that much) I can get a lovely nasty growl from the bridge position and a cleaner in-between and neck position, but all at around the same level, so for me it works out very well.

– JimmyR

Thanks for the reply guys. Jimmy, I would love to see some pics of your guitar! A hair of dirt sounds perfect to me. I knew posting would be helpful. Also, I would obviously be able to return the guitar to stock later if desired.

I just grabbed this pic from my thread lower down where I mentioned putting this pickup in. So cool when you try something and as you plug it in for the first times you realise you're onto a winner.

I just grabbed this pic from my thread lower down where I mentioned putting this pickup in. So cool when you try something and as you plug it in for the first times you realise you're onto a winner.

– JimmyR

Jimmy, love that guitar. Nothing more sexy than a Scripty Jet!!!

My two VS Jets have been a huge surprise for me. I like that they are different enough to justify having both but similar enough to both be wonderful. I've owned a few Jets before these but these are the best. I had a pre-Fender Dearmond Jet and it was horrible, especially in comparison to the '53 VS.

Register Sign in to join the conversation