Modern Gretsch Guitars

Chet Atkins hollowbody and A country Classic II

Hi , I am a newbie to Gretsch guitars and would appreciate help with the correct model number (so that I can make an offer to buy) this guitar

it looks like a 6120 bu the guitar books show many different variations , with various years of reissue models 6120 6120TM 6120 55 reissue 6120 59 reissue

I would be most grateful if any one can identify this and also an alternate guitar available which is the Country Classic II.- (posted in the help with guitars page) again with lots of variations- which model variation and which year would it be ? or do I need a serial number for each one to identify ? I hope the experts on this forum will weigh in

many thanks

Pic of the Country Classic II - which year might it be ?

Oops, here is the Country Classic II

Any pictures of the label inside , would greatly help.

The 6120 looks like a 6120 1960 reissue. If you look inside the F hole the label will have the model number and serial number which can be used to determine the factory and date of manufacture.

I know a lot of sellers try to hide the label, as in the pictures above but the label , the way it's printed and color/design will determine year and make. If the seller could take a pic and share but black out the last few digits of the s/n , it would make a great difference.

If the bridge on the CC hasn’t been replaced, the square-body roller-saddle version makes it pre-FMIC era, which was morless 1990 - 2002/3. But I don’t know details of the model’s production or evolution through those years.

If it IS pre-FMIC, there are numerous other build-and-spec differences from FMIC-era which make it “less desirable” / valuable, all other things being equal.

To belabor the point, serial numbers tell all. If a seller won’t provide that when asked, I’m not a buyer.

Grstschocaster,Suprdave and Proteus thank you for this information and guidance..on both..the message is loud and clear..no serial number, no deal much appreciated

If the bridge on the CC hasn’t been replaced, the square-body roller-saddle version makes it pre-FMIC era, which was morless 1990 - 2002/3. But I don’t know details of the model’s production or evolution through those years.

If it IS pre-FMIC, there are numerous other build-and-spec differences from FMIC-era which make it “less desirable” / valuable, all other things being equal.

To belabor the point, serial numbers tell all. If a seller won’t provide that when asked, I’m not a buyer.

– Proteus

Thank you, attached is the closeup of the bridge on the CC II

I think I'd steer clear of those guitars unless the price is right. That would be $1350 for the 6120, not sure about the CCII.

They're flawed iterations of great designs. Learn a little more and be patient, and you'll probably be glad you did.

I wouldn't say they're 'flawed' but rather just not as high a standard as the current versions - 2003~ to present. The pups are ceramic, not alnico and the wiring harness/pots aren't to today's (Fender production) standards. I have a '97 6120 and it's fine.

Yeah, get the serial numbers. Pre FMIC guitars can be great guitars. Pots and wiring can be issues. Some people even like the sound of the ceramic pups. Condition, playability and price will be your guide. Keep us posted.

Grstschocaster,Suprdave and Proteus thank you for this information and guidance..on both..the message is loud and clear..no serial number, no deal much appreciated

– jazzbo550

I don't know that it would be a big deal breaker. They look like they are the real deal. It's okay to hide the sn, as he's doing but it's also okay for you to ask to see the label as well. He doesn't have to share the entire label with you. Just explain that you want to verify a few things. If he really wants to sell them, this shouldn't be an issue.

The pre-FMIC hollow-bodies are usually heavier, and the body shapes are slightly wrong from a historical perspective. IIRC, the tops are five-ply, while the more recent versions are only three. The only Gretsch that wasn't altered in any way back around 2004 is the 1959 Country Gentleman RI. Those are all strikes against them in my eyes, but yes, they're still excellent guitars and very consistent.

The pre-FMIC hollow-bodies are usually heavier, and the body shapes are slightly wrong from a historical perspective. IIRC, the tops are five-ply, while the more recent versions are only three. The only Gretsch that wasn't altered in any way back around 2004 is the 1959 Country Gentleman RI. Those are all strikes against them in my eyes, but yes, they're still excellent guitars and very consistent.

– seadevil

Right on all observations. Different to be sure and normally shouldn't command the same price as an FMIC era version but can still be a nice guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation