Modern Gretsch Guitars

Charliie Christian style pickup on my G400

If you look at some of the old DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickups, you'll note that the B string pole sits lower, and is often covered by the plastic where all of the others are open. Might be because the B string is hotter.

that's also true of the old DeArmond soundhole PUs for acoustic guitar which were so popular in the 60s, or at least the earlier ones. i always figured it was because the difference in output between a large wound G string--especially flatwound--and an unwound heavy-gauge B string would be way out of balance with parallel poles. were specially designed strings for electric guitar even a thing in Christian's day? that imbalance would be even more acute with acoustic-formula strings.

I would love to know the differences between the three styles of blades, one solid,one notched under the B string, and one with 6 notches. The UK repros offer all three, and it has me delaying placing an order. Does anyone know the sonic differences ? They don't offer much in the way of explanation.

– Opie

when the first cc pups came out in the mid-late 1930's, guitar strings were heavy & had a wound B string!!... as the unwound B string started to become popular, a notch was needed under the string, because the steel unwound string had more magnetic reaction with the pickup...

later the cc pickup design was slightly changed and the pickup had a bit more output...this along with progress in string design and amplification, lead to the further notching...which in reality is close to the same as having a solid bar

the classic for most of todays users would be the under the b string notched version...unless you are a vintage purist/masochist and use a wound B!! haha

cheers

I would love to know the differences between the three styles of blades, one solid,one notched under the B string, and one with 6 notches. The UK repros offer all three, and it has me delaying placing an order. Does anyone know the sonic differences ? They don't offer much in the way of explanation.

– Opie

If you're installing it on a guitar with a wound G, get the blade with the notched B. Otherwise, I'd get the plain or all notched version. I'm not sure what the difference would be. Maybe worth an email to the manufacturer.

a wound B string. dear god.

– macphisto

They did/do exist. Gibson catalogs up to the 1950s list wound B strings.

Even worse than a wound B is a plain D. Back in the ultra-light string days in the late '80s and early '90s, a friend of mine had his guitar strung with a plain D. Talk about floppy.

every so often i learn something that makes me glad that despite all its weirdness i kind of like living in the future. wound B strings are right up there with affordable air conditioning and microwave pizza.

i vaguely remember sets with plain D strings, but even for me that was absurd and i used .010 electric sets on acoustic at times back then.

I'll put up a little sound sample when I get a chance.

Register Sign in to join the conversation