Modern Gretsch Guitars

Chalk up 1 for Guitar Center - The case is closed.

I'm generally a supporter of smaller, independent stores, but I have to give GC kudos for how they handled the mix-up on the missing case for my 6120.

When blues4now traded it in to GC, it came in a Gator foam case....that they somehow lost in the transaction. They never updated the listing, so I assumed it came with a case, as it said in the listing.

Contacted GC about it, and after a few calls, they put me in touch with the store. They agreed that it should come with a case....and when I said that it usually ships with the 6241 (not the FT) case, they just asked for my shipping address, and that it will be shipped to me within a few days. I'll post when it actually arrives.

They didn't question the deluxe vs economy (FT) case at all, and even apologized for the mix-up. So, my new (to me) 6120 will have the case it deserves, not just the case it needs.

Between the price drop on January 1 and the 'free' case, I scored a heck of a deal on a great instrument that I'm just having a ball playing. That frees up some $$ that I can use towards a decent amp for my home office/studio.

....and here's the screenshot of the order. It may be 'backordered', but for free, I can wait a few days.

Guitar Center must do something right. After all the negative reviews you can read online the fact is they are still in business. I'm really happy to hear the resolution of your case. I've been following it and was hoping for the best. Congratulations!

That's great news. They do have their pros as well as cons. The one thing that I like about them is if you're looking for a particular used guitar, and they have one at one of their stores, they will ship it to your local store with no obligation.

The case still has to get here, but since the order already shows up in their system, they're making good on it. The price on this guitar dropped $500 to $1499 (plus tax and shipping) on New Year's Day - It's not the absolute lowest I've seen on a modern 6120, but it's still pretty darn good. With the case on top of it, I'm very happy with the result, and even happier with the guitar. Now I can take it down to CAAS in July with no worry of it bouncing around in an ill-fitting case.

GC is huge because they swallowed up most of their competition. Musician's Friend, Woodwind/Brasswind, Music 123 and others. Who's left? Sweetwater sells industrial PA gear as well as instruments, but who else is left other than some smaller brick and mortar shops?

Still, good to hear that they took care of this issue.

I bought my first Gretsch a few years ago at a GS because of their awesome discounts, but lately their service has been lacking. Last month I walked in one and no one came to talk to me and when I found someone they couldn't help me. I went across the street and threw down $3000 at the Sam Ash for a brand new 6120 ECLH. Glad to hear some store still are trying!

I fell in love here on the pages with posters sharing the Red Sparkle Duo Jet. My only way to get that guitar was through GC. Here in Jactionville. They delivered with a 15% discount. Glad to hear another satisfied Gretsch owner on the pages.

Excellent news!

when I traded that 6120 for my Hot Rod, GC "found" a new deluxe Gretsch case in the back and included it with my guitar. Good stuff

I have nothing but good experiences and nothing but good to say about Guitar Center. Buying and shopping for anything is a very different world now, thanks to the internet. You can order any guitar you want on line with easy no hassle returns from many places. Even paying return shipping is cheaper for where I live than to drive a minimum of 100 miles one way on a chance they might have what I want. I do not miss mom and pop music stores at all. Allmost all of my new gear recording, sound, instruments, amps, pedals, straps, stands, etc. has been purchased on line from Guitar Center, Rocky Street Sounds, Musician's Friend, Z Zounds, Sweetwater, Amazon, Ebay, etc. etc, or locally at our small Guitar Center store in Eugene Oregon. We have more buying choices than ever in history. I don't want to go back to mom and pop music stores I was there when they started. Because I am old

I can't fault the GC here in Louisville. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and seem very happy in their work. They must have a good boss. A happy work force equals quality employees and excellent service.

I'm glad they stood up for you Taylorgtr.

GC is huge because they swallowed up most of their competition. Musician's Friend, Woodwind/Brasswind, Music 123 and others. Who's left? Sweetwater sells industrial PA gear as well as instruments, but who else is left other than some smaller brick and mortar shops?

Still, good to hear that they took care of this issue.

– wabash slim

Up here in Canada it's Long & McQuade that have pushed/swallowed up most of the competition. Sadly, as they've grown, their pricing and service policies have become ever less user friendly. I remember when they were small and hungry (is it decades now?). Back then they had a lot of great used instruments, great service, and were always willing to make a serious deal on virtually anything you wanted. Now it's "this is the price man. Take it or leave it". And that price is invariably as high as the market will bear. And very few used instruments of interest these days (they can make more on new stuff). No consignment policy. Worst of all, LONG TERM LOYALTY MEANS VIRTUALLY NOTHING. The list goes on. And on. And on. How can you tell how impressed I am?

Whenever possible, I will buy from the competition (usually Quest Musique, or St John's Music) these days. Still can't bring myself to buy online. Anyway, glad to hear this story. Give me some sort of hope for the future...

Register Sign in to join the conversation