Modern Gretsch Guitars

Case for a 6120?

I got a great deal from Guitar Center on a 2012 6120 (that used to belong to blues4now). It was advertised as coming with a case.....but didn't ship with one.

While GC tries to find out what happened to the case, if I have to get one, or hopefully have GC provide one.....what is the model # of the right case that fits? Or.....what aftermarket cases fit the 6120 well?

So, from what I can Google, it looks like this:

Gretsch 6443 - Deluxe case - ships with Pro line

Gretsch 6241 - Economy case - ships with Electromatic series

Although, on eBay, I see some '6241's with the same lining as the 'deluxe' case. Anyone have better info than my Google can wrangle up?

Aftermarket cases -

SKB 1-SKB-35 - it has a max depth of 3" inside, so it looks like it would fit a 335, but maybe not a 6120.

Silver Creek Hollowbody Archtop case

The electromatic series don't ship with a case. The case for the professional line hollowbodies is the 6241. There's also the 6241FT, which is intended for the electromatics, but doesn't ship with them. If someone wanted to save a few bucks, the 6241FT would work with a pro-line 6120, but the 6241 is a nicer case in general.

From what I can see the 6443 is meant for thinline 16" Gretsch guitars, namely the centerblock models. It won't have the depth you need for a 6120.

If you want the right case with best fit, get the 6241.

Got it, thanks. Some of the '6241's I'm seeing say 'Economy' case, where others are the purple 'Deluxe' ones. I'll make sure it's the right model...hopefully GC will make good on throwing in the right case.

On a side note, how can you tell the difference between a deluxe and an economie case?

Good luck on getting the right case!

There are some Gretsch catalog #'s, but looks like the main differences are the FT designation (flat top), and 3 latches vs 5. The 'plain' 6241 has a plusher lining, an arched top panel, and 5 latches (4 front, 1 back), kind of like my Taylor 514ce case.

There are some Gretsch catalog #'s, but looks like the main differences are the FT designation (flat top), and 3 latches vs 5. The 'plain' 6241 has a plusher lining, an arched top panel, and 5 latches (4 front, 1 back), kind of like my Taylor 514ce case.

– taylorgtr

Nailed it.

Don't forget the "cowboy" cases. IIRC they have an extra cradle for the neck, at least the Round Up/Solidbody one does.

Get ahold of TKL cases and ask them what the appropriate case is.

The deluxe case is well worth the extra price

I use a Road Runner jumbo acoustic case for mine. Have one for my jumbo acoustic and the Gretsch fits nicely. Nice 5 latch case.

Obviously the best solution is GC sends you the correct case, but if you have to buy a case IMO the issue is whether or not this is a case to store the guitar under the bed etc and hardly ever leave the house, or a case for frequent travel in a vehicle. For guitars that I never take anywhere, I have been satisfied with relatively inexpensive cases.

Still haven't heard back from GC, but will be following up today with the national #....and calling the store directly if no response. My preference will be for the 6241, even if I'm paying out of pocket. I'll post when they get their act together.

As noted in my other post.....GC got their act together. They're shipping a new 6241 Deluxe case. For free. Yay me!

Register Sign in to join the conversation