Modern Gretsch Guitars

Can you help ID this case?

It’s not original to the guitar it came with. Really heavy.

Thanks

Looks like the re-issue gray speckle case. I bought one last year from Rocky at Streetsounds NYC, and it was sold with a6120DE that I had for a bit. Good case. Think I paid somewhere around $250 (give or take) for it, on sale.

This one is rough, but solid.

This isn't a re-issue. It's got the grey charcoal of a late 50's Streamliner case but with later shape and padding of the more upscale cases. If that badge says "Gretsch Brooklyn Chaicago" it's vintage -- pre-1980.

The ones from '65-ish on had the badge with the cities. This must be from the '70's; it sure isn't from modern era '89 and later. Gretsch only recently started to reissue the grey snowflake cases. Cool find.

This isn't a re-issue. It's got the grey charcoal of a late 50's Streamliner case but with later shape and padding of the more upscale cases. If that badge says "Gretsch Brooklyn Chaicago" it's vintage -- pre-1980.

– lx

No dice.

I’m really blown away by how heavy it is.

It’s made by TKL. So I’m guessing modern but beat up.

Hate to contradict the experts, but I think it is the reissue case, and it is made by TKL. Mine looked quite similar, badge and all.

Hate to contradict the experts, but I think it is the reissue case, and it is made by TKL. Mine looked quite similar, badge and all.

– reverb11

Maybe it's the relic look that's throwing them off.

– reverb11

Mine is very purple inside. Is yours red?

No, maybe I'm a not a good photographer... I no longer have the case, but I remember it being purple-ish, too. I'll see if I can find a better picture.

Here is a pic of an original 1958 case. Notice no name on the outside. It loged many miles on motorcycles, sailboats, cars ect. Replaced with one Duke sold me many years ago from old stock. The new one is much heaver and has better padding. Not my miles, they belonged to my younger brother.

Here's the guitar in the replacement case.

I have a tweed case that came with my synchroclub and it's crazy heavy. Maybe a custom shop case?

I don't know why some think this has to be a vintage case. The OP didn't mention the guitar it came with, unless I missed it? This is a reissue TKL case--see my photo above. Paul is correct in that these do come with custom shop guitars sometimes.

It came with a 2006 Dyna Falcon, but is not original to the guitar.

On first blush it appears to be an older case, perhaps 60s/70s with newer crushed purple liner. The silk banner looks to have the same age as the outer case, but that purple interior is newer. Lots of vintage cases get tattered inside, don't have the padding of modern cases, and can also smell sour. It would seem plausible that somebody could have taken an old Gretsch case, and updated the interior.

Register Sign in to join the conversation