Modern Gretsch Guitars

Bo Diddley Round-Up !

.Yeah, thats pretty cool.

I'd trade forty-seven miles of barbed wire for that

Whenever people post this high end custom shop stuff I really miss C Bell. Rocky Street Sounds I think had a speed dial to him and he bought a fair few I think. He would post pics of them now and then so we'd get a more natural setting shot of these amazing instruments.

Whenever people post this high end custom shop stuff I really miss C Bell. Rocky Street Sounds I think had a speed dial to him and he bought a fair few I think. He would post pics of them now and then so we'd get a more natural setting shot of these amazing instruments.

– knavel

And he would let people play them! Good looking guitar.

Yes he did. Cam was a great gentleman.

One of the good guys, gone too soon.

I'd trade forty-seven miles of barbed wire for that

– jps1965

But only if it had a cobra snakeskin finish, with the sides and back made out of rattlesnake hide. And a headstock made from a human skull.

'Course, it would have to be named Arlene.

Bo would have loved that. It'd be great to see an accurate version too, with dynasonics and a jet neck with half moon markers. Never understood why they didn't do that

But only if it had a cobra snakeskin finish, with the sides and back made out of rattlesnake hide. And a headstock made from a human skull.

'Course, it would have to be named Arlene.

– Parabar

Maybe “Mona” would be the best name?

About that guitar I like the scripty headstock most.

Purdy thing! You're right about the headstock and script logo, it looks great. The whole thing has a great vibe

I’m 71 years old and I remember Bo when he was on the radio. He had a big influence on other artists. Buddy Holly’s Not Fade Away is a good example. He would have loved the guitar.

I got a late start in playing guitar in 2016. I have always loved Bo Diddley when I saw him on Sha Na Na in 1978. I bought an elactromatic Gretsch Bo Diddley online new from Musicians Friend. I have since upgraded it with gold hardware and TV Jones Dynasonic pickups. I am running with 10-48 flat wound strings and the tone knob 0 to 5 is 250k pot and 6 to 10 is 1 Meg. I love the sound I get.

I got a late start in playing guitar in 2016. I have always loved Bo Diddley when I saw him on Sha Na Na in 1978. I bought an elactromatic Gretsch Bo Diddley online new from Musicians Friend. I have since upgraded it with gold hardware and TV Jones Dynasonic pickups. I am running with 10-48 flat wound strings and the tone knob 0 to 5 is 250k pot and 6 to 10 is 1 Meg. I love the sound I get.

– Starfighter06

that looks mighty fine. Plus you've had the satisfaction of customising it to fit your own style, whilst still keeping a bit of Bo. It's odd that such a quirky creation lends itself so we'll to personalisation

I need to revisit a Jupiter/Billy Bo - I donated my electromatic Bo to a worthy organization. I don't miss it, but the last encounter I had with a Billy Bo I didn't dig it as much as I thought I would.

That was a while back though.

Total derail, but I caught this on the Hallmark Owners Facebook page and thought it was keen. A one-off "Dragula" based on the Barris Hallmark that Bob Shade had come up with.

I have always loved Bo Diddley when I saw him on Sha Na Na in 1978.

The guitar is cool and as said, enough to know it's Bo, but still uniquely yours. That album in your photo has had a big impact on my life in so many ways. Most recently I was in hospital for a large chunk of 2018 and so I had the guitar there and I used to play "Pills" all the time for the nurses. Even in death Bo has always given me life. (Another standard for the staff was the Rock and Roll Trio, "Rock Therapy").

I have a few of the Chess box sets like the Bo Diddley in the picture including Chuck Berry. It is a shame that a lot probably most original master tapes were lost in a huge fire at Universal back in 2008. It included Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry original master tapes.

This reminded me of a wonderful bit of footage including Bo, the rectangle guitar and Chuck Berry.

Plus I shake my head in wonder... Why make a tribute guitar that's 'a bit like' Bo Diddley guitar. Gretsch have access to all the components available to make this guitar, so how come we get the vague version? Blonde necks? Gold hardware? Black binding? The beauty of the original idea is that it's a bizarro cubist interpretation of a Jet Firebird with dynas, firebird red and black colour scheme, half moon markers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation