Modern Gretsch Guitars

Black Falcon Transformation

Here is a recently acquired 6136DS from 2013 that is undergoing some changes. All the parts are here and it is being dropped off at my tech's shop in a couple of days. These are the 'before' photos and I'll post the finished guitar when I get it back, hopefully in a week or so.

Bigsby and TV Jones Classics in Dyna mounts

Brass Tru-Arc borrowed from my 6120 until a new one arrives from Proteus. I carved a base for it from a piece of Gabon ebony; trying a fairly wide one with full contact. Needs a final shaping and polish.

Sweet, and that's a nice looking base.

I love the Serpentune bridge on my Phoenix.

JM, living next door in Burlington, just curious as to who your guitar tech is. Are you dealing with Mike Spicer, perhaps.

JM, living next door in Burlington, just curious as to who your guitar tech is. Are you dealing with Mike Spicer, perhaps.

– MadScience

I have been using my old friend Doug Harrison for many years. He works mostly out of the 12th Fret in Toronto; builds beautiful archtop guitars. http://harrisonguitars.com/

This is going to look awesome,Roy. So glad the guitar is black---I might have hesitated to send the pickups your way otherwise,lol.

This is going to look awesome,Roy. So glad the guitar is black---I might have hesitated to send the pickups your way otherwise,lol.

– AllModCons

Glad you relented. I'm stoked.

Oh ok,so this is the where you need the base studs and screws,cool!!! I love it when guitars or anything for that matter gets some hot rodded love to suit the individual. Just checked and they’ve finally made it into the land of maples so maybe it won’t be long.

Oh ok,so this is the where you need the base studs and screws,cool!!! I love it when guitars or anything for that matter gets some hot rodded love to suit the individual. Just checked and they’ve finally made it into the land of maples so maybe it won’t be long.

– Michael Williams

Last time I checked it looked like a tomorrow delivery.

Do you find you get a better response from the full contact base? I've got a full contact Bigsby base on a piece of full contact ebony and it seems to get a good acoustic/electric sound, but I'll be getting a Serpentune sometime in the future and wondered if your approach would work better than the traditional base.

Do you find you get a better response from the full contact base? I've got a full contact Bigsby base on a piece of full contact ebony and it seems to get a good acoustic/electric sound, but I'll be getting a Serpentune sometime in the future and wondered if your approach would work better than the traditional base.

– lx

I'm not sure how to quantify the relationship between a bridge and the guitar it is used on. I carved a very dense African Blackwood bridge with a full contact base and it seemed to make my old 6124, a very light instrument, unresponsive. However, the same bridge brought my friend's old Gibson L5 back to life. It is a beefy instrument with a thick, solid spruce top and 17" lower bout.

So, in answer to your question, I think it depends on the guitar. I'm trying this wide, full contact base on the Falcon and will do a comparison with the standard two-foot base later on. I'll post the results.

Register Sign in to join the conversation