Modern Gretsch Guitars

Billy Duffy White Falcon

The more I see those blacktops the less I like them. Those surrounds are just stupid looking. I do, however, like the shape of that bird.

great guitar but absolutely hate the plug in electromatic pkups.. why cant tvjones make period correct ceramic mag filtertrons for this thing?

I pulled this out of the code from the site..

I was curious to see how this was going to turn out. I don't hate it. It's a reproduction of a Baldwin era Falcon, and in that context, the Blacktop filters and surrounds look just fine to me. Nice to see Billy with a signature Gretsch.

Looks like one of those Chinese nock off's, does nothing for me.

I love it! I really like the silver binding and nickel hardware. I think this may be my favorite looking White Falcon. Billy Duffy rules too.

Here's the old pic of him from 1984

Billy Duffy was and is part of a great time and style of music. The Cult sounded like nobody else, and he learned, odd enough, to trust Matthew Asman of Bow Wow Wow, to try a great guitar. I'd venture to guess this signature kills!

...wisdom

Dangerousman, You may not like the look of those black top filtertrons but they sound Freakin Awesome! Just sayin'

great guitar but absolutely hate the plug in electromatic pkups.. why cant tvjones make period correct ceramic mag filtertrons for this thing?

– TheNocturneBrain.com

– WIREDTURTLE here SINCE2002

They look like the one's in his 70's Falcon to me. I seem to recall reading in an interview with him that he had Seymour Duncan rewind them?

I'm not gonna pretend I'm some x-pert on all things Billy but I did talk to him at length this last namm show about his rig back in the day. His comment was that he likes his pickups much louder than the tvjones on some of his Jets, for playing live. And he did emphasize that he likes his tvjones but for live playing he preferes the ceramics of his original falcon. I personally dont like the open top look BUT the sound of the open covers really makes the tvjones classics much more "airy" and the chords jangle better to my ears.

that said I love this guitar and would buy it if I had bank.

that said I love this guitar and would buy it if I had bank.

You and I both Tavo. I'm a BIG Cult fan. I've always loved Duffy's guitar sound.

Anybody have ideas on pricing? I might buy if its regular Falcon range, but won't if its in the 5-figure range like some of the high end sigs.

Am I missing something here? The article refers to several unique differences that set the Billy Duffy Falcon apart from "the rest of the flock." It then cites the "V-shaped headstock."

Don't all Falcons have a V-shaped headstock? Mine certainly does.

Anybody have ideas on pricing? I might buy if its regular Falcon range, but won't if its in the 5-figure range like some of the high end sigs.

– absaroke

– absaroke

List price: $5,050.

It's a Falcon! What more needs to be said? I wouldn't kick it outta bed!

...and thus it comes to pass... congrats Billy! :)

Am I missing something here? The article refers to several unique differences that set the Billy Duffy Falcon apart from "the rest of the flock." It then cites the "V-shaped headstock."

– Ric12string

– Ric12string

He mentioned the headstock being smaller.

Let me second that, Suprdave. I had the chance to play a Gretsch Tim Armstrong (the pink one!) and a 5420T at a guitar store in Houston over the holidays, both with the black top Filtertrons. They sounded awesome though a Vox VT amp - in fact, I'm getting GAS as I write this...

It is interesting to note that the Billy Duffy model has "custom wound black top filtertrons". They're probably a little hotter than the current Electromatic versions. And while I like his new model, an MSRP of $5050 for the Billy Falcon means I won't be getting one any time soon...

Wow!

Had a feeling Duffy's Falcon would come with hotter pickups, but did not anticiapte the silver hardware and binding. Boy, that's the way to do it. Had his Falcon been just another Baldwin-style 7593 with the gold, what would be the point? You can buy those already. This model definitely tempts me now. I'm actually kind of mad I like it.

Here's my Duffy Falcon and set up. I bought the 7593 model (and the Roland Jazz Chorus) because of Billy Duffy and The Cult. I never wanted a second Falcon, but now... It's possible I may treat myself to that Duffy Falcon one day in future. It really is nicer than I thought it would be.

But until then, I rock out on my own Duffy Falcon.

i just cant get past that switch location on the upper bout

Not a Falcon guy myself (they do look cool though) but the Duffy model is giving me some major gas for one of those new white Electromatics.

What's up with the weird looking bridge base? I agree also that those trim rings on the pups are too big. Otherwise, looks pretty nice, but, not nice enough to trade my Black DC for... 8-)

What's up with the weird looking bridge base? I agree also that those trim rings on the pups are too big. Otherwise, looks pretty nice, but, not nice enough to trade my Black DC for... 8-)

– Hermitt

– Hermitt

Hermitt, if Duffy had thought to release a Black Double Cut Falcon as his signature model, I would have bought five and he would have sold millions more.

Register Sign in to join the conversation