Modern Gretsch Guitars

Bigsby Handles

I look at the handles on my Gretsch V Bigsbys and don't care for the shape compared to some of the others. Too flat. Like a butter knife. I prefer the look of one that is listed as Vintage Flat, fat where your hand would make contact yet narrower and re-enforced thickness towards the other end where the force could cause flex.

I only see this included on the longer B6 Bigsbys for archtops. Anyone know if it would be too long for a B3 on a Duo Jet?

Any good sources for aftermarket handles?

I never liked any stock Bigsby arms. Gotta be a Chet arm or one of my famous shortened Merle arms. Still there must be some choice for more traditional ones.

I look at the handles on my Gretsch V Bigsbys and don't care for the shape compared to some of the others. Too flat. Like a butter knife. I prefer the look of one that is listed as Vintage Flat, fat where your hand would make contact yet narrower and re-enforced thickness towards the other end where the force could cause flex.

I only see this included on the longer B6 Bigsbys for archtops. Anyone know if it would be too long for a B3 on a Duo Jet?

Any good sources for aftermarket handles?

– Gregory_Pecarry

Have a look at the gretschpages sponsors. Blackrider as an example sells several types of handles. I think you'd love the Duane Eddy type. http://blackriderguitars.co...

Thanks for confirming Bob Howard. sascha, I looked at Blackrider's site, They have a BCBVN listed, which has I'm guessing a "Vintage Narrow" handle. Similar shape, just narrower. I think that's the one (in gold) that's on the Chet Solid Body guitars. Always liked the look. Thinking that may be more historically accurate on a 57 Duo Jet reissue? I guess that's also the year of Duane's 6120 and that style handle too.

Original 57 Duo Jet. Not sure if the Bigsby would have been stock though. Think I'll just change the handle to the Vintage Flat or DE.

Duane Eddy handle for '57.

Duane Eddy handle is what I'm switching to on all of my guitars. It just feels right.

The Duane Eddy arm is great. I don't mind the regular flat one, though. One word of caution about the vintage narrow arms: they break. A lot! Even with moderate use, the metal by the hinge fatigues in no time, the arm snaps, leaving the considerate player feeling like a brute beast.

I had a 74 Viking which had the 'bent wire' arm, I prefer this type as I also play Stratocasters and like to use the arm a lot on instrumental pieces, the flat blade arm is ok but is not so easy to use in that situation (Ventures style music).

Here's my old Viking with the wire arm.

There was also a Baldwin era telescopic arm that was used around 66-68 I believe. Not sure if this is now reproduced. More Stratocaster like.

"One word of caution about the vintage narrow arms: they break. A lot! "

Good to know. Leaning towards the DE handle now.

It's a great handle. The narrow one is also a bit, well, narrow.

Love my DE handle. It just feels right

New here. Old to Gretsch. Just got a G2655t. Love it. I find the pickups responsive and musical. But the bar is so far up from the strings it's not possible to work it while playing. My first thought is changing the spring; if I put a shorter spring in there it may help. Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Great forum. Thank you.

Gretsch makes a 7/8" spring and some folks use a Reverend "Soft Spring". The Reverend is right at an inch, which is the same as the stock Gretsch spring, but it has a lot less tension, so it compresses a little more than the 7/8" spring, and has a softer feel.

I would think that you may be happier with the Reverend spring on yours.

Best of luck.

I just installed the Duane Eddy handle on my 57 jet and it made a big difference. Its far more comfortable and intuitive to use, and matches the bigsby plate better, cause everything is aluminum now, not stamped steel

Do the Duane Eddiy arms come in Gold? I didn't see them offered in the Blackrider website.

Do the Duane Eddiy arms come in Gold? I didn't see them offered in the Blackrider website.

– GreTschocaster

Yes, I purchased one from Angela Instruments for my Falcon.

The duane eddy arm may look very similar to stock; I was a little apprehensive, but the feel is waayy different, and better. First thing I noticed was stiffness, second being the comfort of the arm. The only annoying thing, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the nut on the inside that holds the handle on, is very large and I can hear it bump and scrape against the spring sometimes. Everything is seated right, It's only occasional and can't be heard through an amp or felt, just a minor annoyance when jamming unplugged

I just replaced the stock arm on my 6129T with a Duanne Eddy this past weekend and agree with pretty much everything said. The contour is much nicer (no sharp edges) and the aluminum matches the tailpiece better than the steel but have the same issue Chmason85 has with the nut under the arm scraping the spring. I took apart the whole thing to see if I can reseat it better but that is a project for this weekend. One thing I also noticed with the arm off is that the bar that holds the strings doesn't turn smoothly but is quite stiff and a little rough feeling, is this normal?

Register Sign in to join the conversation