Modern Gretsch Guitars

Big John Bates Custo G400JV

Man I didnt need to see that. I have been foolin with floaters cause I didnt want to put a p-90 in mine. Looks like its on top ?

yup enough room fpr a p90 and a spacer ! guess I could just double stick tape it ? does not look like his is screwed to the top does it ?

sorry I didnt see your response. You take the pics ? how does it sound ?

He tried to float it but it just didn't work so he cut it in. I'm trying to find the pics of the job.

i have a fralin here looks like if I grind down the screws it will work. If you have the pics that would be great. Thanks

John tried to grind down the screws as well but still didn't work. He used the Fralin as well.

Man that guitar is soooo cool. Hopefully one of these days Ill walk into a shop that actually has one of these in stock so I can take er for a test drive.8-)

awww that sounds like the end of it...or is it ?

Jay they are fantastic guitars. Like a acoustic falcon. In fact its how they should have done it not on a rancher

my band the blowtorches opened for him a few months back.

a kent armstrong (usa) floater would have fit just fine there. he makes flaoting hums, minis and singles, i believe.

then again, i might like the sound of a built in pickup more, i think. depends.

Tom Short makes a great single coil floater that looks just like a floating mini humbucker without exposed polepieces. I had one on my D'Angelico New Yorker reissue and it sounded great.

Tom also makes the best sounding P90s I've ever heard. I have them on my Ibanez.

Link...

yeah a floater would be easier BUT... that dog ear on that just looks right. I think so. like its always been there

I have had a couple of drinks I should hide my g400jv just in case 8-o

Man that guitar is soooo cool. Hopefully one of these days Ill walk into a shop that actually has one of these in stock so I can take er for a test drive.8-)

– Jason F

– Jay

Jay, It will have to be used because they are discontinued now. :(

Man, I'm wanting one of these real bad. :P

Did it go into any bracing ?

Fauves, aren't these X bracing? I would think it would miss any bracing.

Yeah x but I have not seen too far inside and don't know if it's just a x ? Some flat top x bracing has additional pieces that go across. I can't feel far enough inside.

Thought I would ask since he just cut a hole.

John said there is x bracing under the top but the cut and the pickup fits perfectly between it.

Tom Short makes a great single coil floater that looks just like a floating mini humbucker without exposed polepieces. I had one on my D'Angelico New Yorker reissue and it sounded great.

Tom also makes the best sounding P90s I've ever heard. I have them on my Ibanez.

Link...

– Bear

Link...

– Bear

That would be the STEVE BISTROW Western Swing Jazz Floater, a real Bear of a pickup if you catch my drift. Bear's pickup

It was designed for Bear and the link has a video of him playing it on his departed D'Angelico reissue.

Register Sign in to join the conversation