Miscellaneous Rumbles

What advice would you give your younger (under 20) self?

I saw this question on CNN. If you could travel back in time Marty McFly style and sit down with yourself as a teenager, what would you say?

Buy that trashed but straight 1968 Road Runner convertible for $200 and hold on to it. (I ended up buying a '67 Cougar for $225 instead).

Do not squander the opportunities you are given to do something worthwhile.

And don't be a jerk.

"Stash every penny you can save." Advice I was given. So, in answer to the Ops question, it doesn't matter. Apparently I won't listen anyway.

"Learn to tell the difference between what's really important and what merely seems important."

"you're mortal. you are aware of that, right?"

I should have joined the armed services. I was fixing to sign with a Marine recruiter while my band was going strong (not making a ton of $$$, just gigging 3-4 nights a week). I decided to keep the band going while working part time and going to UTx. I was always somewhat rambuctious and ready for a party. However, as the band petered out and I graduated I found the woman I'm still married to 20+years later. I have a beautifully fulfilling career, great wife and now academically dominating 13 year old not so small anymore little girl. I've always wished I did things differently, but I also know that maybe I wouldn't have the gifts I have now if I had chosen another road. Funny how things turn out. On one hand I wish I had made a certain choice as a young adult, but I wonder - if I had made that choice how would it have altered a now wonderful life? Good thread, Herr Doktor.

Stop worrying about what real job you'll have and practice more.

Never stop listening, learning and never stop challenging yourself. Oh and take care of your body.

I saw this question on CNN. If you could travel back in time Marty McFly style and sit down with yourself as a teenager, what would you say?

– drmilktruck

Your dad had a good idea. Get the voice lessons.

Nothing. I won't be the person now if I'll change my past. Nice thread.

Nothing. I won't be the person now if I'll change my past. Nice thread.

– jetbunny

Well that depends if time is linear, or if all possible outcomes exist in parallel universes. Or maybe a closed loop determines the past and the future because gravity exists outside of time.

Maybe you're the person you are because the person you're going to be will decide not to change your past.

Go buy a good guitar, and don't think you're unlovable.

Stay away from redheads,

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

No!.....they're the most fun!.....wild, but fun!

Don't bring the Sports Almanac back with you...

Sleeping rough won't kill you.

Practice - you slacker!

Take up the bass and/or the keyboard and/or the saxophone. Even if you're only half decent, you'll get more work.

Apple, MIcrosoft, Google, Oil.

Register Sign in to join the conversation