Modern Gretsch Guitars

Best amp settings for “That Gretsch Sound”

I'd appreciate the group's help on this. I just got a 5120 after a few years of playing solid bodies. I love rockabilly and punkabilly, but I can't seem to get the sound I want out of my amp. The guitar sounds awesome unplugged, but with my VOX amp, eh, not so much. The amp has gain, volume, treble, middle, bass, master volume knobs as well as about a half a dozen modeling programs with names like "UK '70s" and "US High Gain" and so on. There's also digital effects including reverb, delay and so on. Oh, and I have an overdrive pedal. The guitar has the standard switches and knobs. Please help! What settings would you use on the guitar and amp to get a good Chuck Berry sound? How about a good punkabilly sound? Thanks, Thomas
I don't know about Chuck Berry, but for punkabilly I tend to have the bass and mids set to about 2:00 and the treble all the way. The gain's pretty high(there's no gain knob on my amp, just two volumes and a master so you can have it go crazy with gain at a low volume) but not as high as it can be. I think a lot of the nuances of playing get lost when you run the gain full throttle. Also, those are my setting for clean too (I just turn off the overdrive button that activates the two volumes. My amp's a little weird). Nick once said for a good Setzer sound get your amp just past the breaking point as far as gain goes and back off with your guitar volume if you want clean and then turn it up when you want to rip. Hope this helps.
New pickups will help bring the "great Gretsch sound" out too. I've noticed the stock 5120 pickups are very Gibson-ish.
Use one of the Fender models on that Valvetronix, tweed preferably. Use enough gain to give a light breakup. Use a decent amount of treble and mids, less bass. Select a slapback echo set for one quick repeat. Add some reverb. Play. Mike
Pappy may be right. To get close to the Gretsch sound, you will probably need new PU's.

Register Sign in to join the conversation