Modern Gretsch Guitars

Belated NGD

That's Purty! Congrats!

You picked a winner!! Congratulations and enjoy!!

Pretty nice,congrats!

Great guitar! Love the no mud switch! Question: when did this model begin having the tension bar Bigsby instead of the B6?

Thanks, Windsordave!

First ever Gretsch for me, so I’m afraid I can’t answer your question about the Bigsby.

And if I may ask, what is a “no mud switch”?

Thanks, Windsordave!

First ever Gretsch for me, so I’m afraid I can’t answer your question about the Bigsby.

And if I may ask, what is a “no mud switch”?

– Jazzhands11

The mud switch as it's affectionately known around here, is the tone switch in lieu of a tone knob/pot on the lower bout. It's beside the pup selector switch on the upper bout. Folks generally don't like them (me) or do like them. In all fairness they're far superior today than back in the vintage day.

Great guitar! Love the no mud switch! Question: when did this model begin having the tension bar Bigsby instead of the B6?

– Windsordave

When they eliminated the wooden bridge base and had the bridge mounted directly to the guitar top. With that configuration, a B6 doesn't provide optimum break angle, so the tension bar model was required.

Man, that's nice. Congrats!

That is nice-looking. The flame looks great on both front and back, but is truly spectacular on the sides. Most players would probably remove the black rubber from the Bigsby, but it's a matter of individual preference.

Thx to all for the kind words. I’m loving this guitar

Thx, Windsordave, for your explanation of the “mud switch”.

And thx also, seadevil, for your comment re the rubber tip. It feels odd, but I hadn’t removed it as I wondered if taking it off might be heretical

Register Sign in to join the conversation