Modern Gretsch Guitars

Back in the Gretsch game: 2003 6196T

Hey all. Just traded my way into this fine Country Club. Little played, not a scratch on it. I've been wanting one with dynas, but filtertrons are just as tasty in their own way, so I could not pass it up. Picture isn't great, but you get the idea.

Question for those in the know: It has the stock roller bridge. Would a compton or similar be a worthy upgrade? If so, brass or steel? And what would I need to know in terms of radius and string spacing to order a bridge?

Thanks. MD

Beauty! Get a Serpentune from TruArc.

Hi agree with NJBob. Get a Serpentune from TruArc.

That Serpentune does look interesting. I'll have to talk to them, see what specs I need to order. Also have to decide on material. I'm thinking copper or brass. Might be easy with the spruce top on the CC to get too bright, so I'm wary of the stainless and aluminum.

thanks for your advice! Michael D.

Very nice. Congrats.

That bridge appears to be a Space Control, not a Roller bridge which even more creates the need to get a Serpentune or at least a top-of-the-line roller bridge.

Dave:

You're right. I've never seen a space control bridge, didn't know what it is. Looking at the pics, that's what I have.

Just got a chance to really hear this guitar, with my setup. (When I traded last night, plugged in for only a minute, low volume.) Big sound from those filters. Even with .10s still on it, a great deal to appreciate here. Excellent playability too, smooth Bigsby. If the SC is holding the guitar back, it still sounds great. I bet the Serpentune would add a little more density, sustain to the higher strings. So I'll definitely be ordering one. And appreciating this wonderful guitar in the meantime! MD

That is a lovely guitar, mad dog. It appears to be a transition model -- it was most likely built in the last couple of months of 2002 or the first month or two of 2003. It has many of the pre-FMIC features, including the distinctive headstock and Filters. But, most importantly, it has what I consider to be the beautiful metal flake Cadillac Green color that tends more towards the blues hues than the yellow hues. There aren't many Country Clubs out there with that particular color.

I also have a 2003 Country Club, but mine was built in December. It still has the blueish Cadillac Green color, but has the more traditional headstock shape and Gretsch Dynasonics.

That's a great guitar which I hope that you will enjoy for many years to come.

I love that Metallic Caddy green ,congrats mad dog!

There was one here locally back in 2003,it was blew out during the closing down sale of 2006,unfortunately not to me.

Nice One!

That Serpentune does look interesting. I'll have to talk to them, see what specs I need to order. Also have to decide on material. I'm thinking copper or brass. Might be easy with the spruce top on the CC to get too bright, so I'm wary of the stainless and aluminum.

thanks for your advice! Michael D.

– mad dog

He is a walking, talking Spec Reference, believe Me, He'll know exactly what you need and You'll love it

A Country Club! Way to go! Congrats!

Congrats, that's a beautiful Gretsch.

As far as bridges, I put a SS Serpentune on my Phoenix. My thoughts on it...............it ain't coming off! lol

IMO, the best "bar bridge" on the market, and you get to pick your flavor.

Best of luck and enjoy your new sweetheart.

Dave:

You're right. I've never seen a space control bridge, didn't know what it is. Looking at the pics, that's what I have.

Just got a chance to really hear this guitar, with my setup. (When I traded last night, plugged in for only a minute, low volume.) Big sound from those filters. Even with .10s still on it, a great deal to appreciate here. Excellent playability too, smooth Bigsby. If the SC is holding the guitar back, it still sounds great. I bet the Serpentune would add a little more density, sustain to the higher strings. So I'll definitely be ordering one. And appreciating this wonderful guitar in the meantime! MD

– mad dog

Even a space control [or Melita/Embie for that matter] can't spoil the impression that gorgeous guitar creates! I play 10's on my electrics and they're my preference. And I get a big enough sound out of them for my needs.

Years ago I owned a '64 Harrison Gent and a previous owner had replaced the bar bridge with a space control. They're very nasty for those of us that play Chet's fingerstyle and need to mute the lower 3 strings with the heel of the right hand. I contacted Duke Kramer and asked him about a bar bridge which he said he didn't have anyway, and at that time suggested the roller bridge now in favor. He sent me one, which I still have BTW and it was a nice improvement for not just the comfort issue but also the ability to intonate. I didn't find a wow factor increase in tone but it was better. I'm sure whatever you install will be great for you. Please give us an update when you've spent some time with the new bridge.

Thanks all for the comments! I had been wanting to try a CC for years. Strangely enough, never even saw one, much less got to try one. An impressive instrument. Visually to start, such a distinctive look. And it feels, plays and sounds just as good as it looks. The Bigsby puts it over the top. So smooth. Haven't had it long, but I'm already loving it.

Those of you with tru-arc bridges ... what is the best email for contacting Tim? I think one of his bridges is the way to go.

MD

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations.

I have the same CC. 03, big headstock. Mine does not have the center post support that would be directly under the bridge. What you got?

Slick:

I just looked. No soundpost. Kinda suprised at that. Wonder how a post would change the sound? MD

The effect of installing a soundpost is kind of like turning thr bass control on your amp down a notch. It also VERY slightly decreases the often unpredictable, complex mix of overtones that can give an individual guitar its own unique sound. What little you may lose in acoustic liveliness is more than compensated for by the dramatic reduction in low-end feedback, IMO. You can always just pressure-fit a small block under the bridge and take it out if you don't like it.

Those little cedar blocks that are meant to keep your dresser drawers smelling fresh (sold ar Bed, Bath, and Beyond and similar places) are almost exactly the right size and very inexpensive. A couple of minutes with some 80-grit paper and they're perfect.

I find it amusing that even someone who hates sound posts would have to hit the "Add post" button to say so here.

Im pretty sure the Dyna equipped CCs also do not have post. I was conciddering getting the Dyna's in the filtertron TV's to complete the vibe but instead got setzer sigs for my 06 CC. Now im thinking butts for the 03. I don't miss the post. But if you squeeze one in make sure its not too tight or you can crack your top!!!! Id get a violin luthier to do it solid. Pretty guitar. Was my first pro line Gretsch. The 03 filtertrons seem a bit dull compared to classics or sigs. 03 neck feels same as my 06.

I may be contrarian this way, but find the HS Filtertrons very tasty. Warm, but with just the right hot edge. It's my second experience with HS Filters, the first being a modded 5120. I may be reacting in part to how these p/us work with my setup ... which includes an always on Tim clean boost with low gain set, some bass rolled off. Just a great sound, neck p/u especially.

I would like to get the bridge p/u up just a bit. Neck is louder. In stock form, height adjustment doesn't work, so this might be a task for my luthier buddy. Until then, I just keep the neck volume a touch lower so it balances out. Using mainly neck and middle positions. MD

Slickfaster is correct about no sound post in a Dyna equipped Club; at least in the case of my 2003 6192.

Register Sign in to join the conversation