Modern Gretsch Guitars

Back in the Duo Jet Players Club

I didn't know a thing about Cliff Gallup until the signature model was recently released by Gretsch Guitars. A few months ago I was telling my wife about how Cliff Gallup gave up a promising career as a Rock & Roll pioneer and stayed home with the family, served as a school maintenance manager for 30+ years, and played local gigs in Virginia. That seemed to impress her enough to put this fine guitar under the Christmas tree this year. She's a wonderful wife.

And feels and sounds great! The fixed Bigsby arm will take some getting used to and unpinned aluminum bridge is new territory for me but the Dynosonic pick-ups are awesome. Pictures to follow ...

Wow! Though owning a red sparkle jet the first fret marker is a bit odd

Anyhow, Those narrow DOF photos are crazy cool

Gorgeous guitar. Congratulations! Both your wife and the guitar are keepers!

Nice choice.

School maintenance manager, rather than janitor.

Thanks for the clarification Uncle Daddy! I made the edit to the original post. I meant only to honor the idea of a hard working blue collar family man that was a Gretsch guitar hero under the radar.

Very nice. Merry Christmas, indeed.

Gorgeous guitar. Congratulations! Both your wife and the guitar are keepers!

– Hoot Owl

Plus 1

How does it compare to the BZ?

Hey NJBob! It just feels great to handle and hear a jet with Dynosonics again. I think the Cliff Gallup may be lighter than the BZ. The Cliff Gallup Jet neck is a 12" radius vs the smaller BZ radius but feels fine to me. The fixed Bigsby arm will take some getting used to.

Don't worry, I have no regrets about the BZ trade ... its in good hands!

Is that the Bigsby bridge the one for a wound 3rd?

Hey NJBob! It just feels great to handle and hear a jet with Dynosonics again. I think the Cliff Gallup may be lighter than the BZ. The Cliff Gallup Jet neck is a 12" radius vs the smaller BZ radius but feels fine to me. The fixed Bigsby arm will take some getting used to.

Don't worry, I have no regrets about the BZ trade ... its in good hands!

– Brian_66

Yeah, the BZ radius is weirdly small for a Gretsch. I was surprised when Curt measured it.

Beauty,congrats Brian!

Very nice. I haven't played another guitar since I got my Vintage Select green Duo Jet.

Is that the Bigsby bridge the one for a wound 3rd?

– Uncle Daddy

I really don't know anything about the type of bridge that is on this guitar other than its a big hunk of aluminum. It came with flatwound .11s and the 3rd string is wound.

I really don't know anything about the type of bridge that is on this guitar other than its a big hunk of aluminum. It came with flatwound .11s and the 3rd string is wound.

– Brian_66

It's not totally clear in the picture, but I think you do have the right bridge for a wound third. If you ever intend to switch to a plain third, you may need one of these-

http://blackriderguitars.co...

Congrats, Brian, on the Cliff Gallup Signature Duo Jet! Beautiful! I've been gassing for a Gretsch G6128T-53 Vintage Select '53 Duo Jet (love the old timey logo). Enjoy and happy holidays!

Hey Steve, it plays surf pretty good! Hope we can play in the near future.

Register Sign in to join the conversation