Modern Gretsch Guitars

Anyone a fan ot Gretsch’s latest Falcon in Lake Placid Blue?

I like it although I think the color looks lighter than LPB. That might just be the lighting or photography. The blue/silver sparkle works for me. I also like the silver sparkle on the Cheney signature model.

But in my opinion, a Falcon must have a vertical logo! Even though the headstock shape is the same, without the vertical logo/wings it looks clunky and plain.

I like LPB but find it more appropriate for guitars like this:

The Hollywood GC has one of those blue burst 6120s (they say it’s an ‘89) for $1,439. The pickup rings have been changed, maybe other stuff, too, but they describe it as being in “fair” condition, which has kept me at bay for the entire time it’s been there, which has been a while. Still, if anyone’s interested, I can try to work a tryout adventure into my busy schedule.

https://www.guitarcenter.co...

The Hollywood GC has one of those blue burst 6120s (they say it’s an ‘89) for $1,439. The pickup rings have been changed, maybe other stuff, too, but they describe it as being in “fair” condition, which has kept me at bay for the entire time it’s been there, which has been a while. Still, if anyone’s interested, I can try to work a tryout adventure into my busy schedule.

https://www.guitarcenter.co...

– giffenf

That price is close to what I paid awhile back and mine ('98) would be considered VG-EX. Fair to me means it has to have serious issues, either visually or playability. And what has been put over the horseshoe on the headstock??

IIRC, this BB version of the 6120 wasn't made as early as '89. Maybe someone just juxtaposed the numbers. There was a mint one of these for sale at Blue Dog guitars awhile back for I believe somewhere in the $2000's (Cdn). If it was a post FMIC guitar it would be priced about right, IMO, at $2K. However, with the other thread saying 6122-59's can be had for under $2K it would push this guitar in this condition, whatever the issue, [at GC] to only $1K, no?

I tell you what, I've never been about the Falcon bling but every time I get a chance to play one they feel and sound SOOOO Good!

I am a fan of this one. The color is beautiful.

Wildwood Guitars has one listed with some great pics.

If you check it out.......also take a look at a CS Scripty Jet. OMG it's nice.

Can't find the BB on Wildwood's website. Maybe it just sold.

Ah, I was seeing the 6136T, not the BB.

Sorry about not being clear on which guitar. The LPB sure does look nice though.

i generally applaud the funsies and well, this almost works. call me old fashioned, but a split headstock gets a vertical logo. no questions asked. no exceptions. don't care what happened after 59 or whatever.

what makes this work is something that they don't do enough of- vary the color of the binding. the white is amazing and should be seen more. they usually slap gold binding/gold hardware on everything whether it looks better or not and this was a huge improvement.

and me being me, it would look better with the humpblock inlays, filters or not.

all that aside, it isn't my color preference but i will allow it. this ends up being one of those tragic near misses for me, like the metallic rose and blue creme whatever falcons. close, but frustratingly not close enough but i'd still like one, even though it would always feel like a compromise.

Register Sign in to join the conversation