Modern Gretsch Guitars

Anyone a fan ot Gretsch’s latest Falcon in Lake Placid Blue?

Aside from the obvious members, the good Dr, Ed and Bob, what do think about this latest ffering. Personally, I like it. Not the exact shade of blue to blow my skirt up - and I'm not collecting more guitars anyway! - but I appreciated the muting of all the Falcon's normal glitz. This one should appeal to those who prefer the chrome hardware over the gold.

https://www.gretschguitars....

Very tasty! Perfect with chrome/silver.

I like it. It looks great without gold hardware. I actually always wanted a Penguin in this color scheme!

never been a LPB guy. Sonic Blue, though? in a hot minute!

never been a LPB guy. Sonic Blue, though? in a hot minute!

– macphisto

If it was the shade of blue on my '98 6120 Blue Burst (minus the black around the edges)...…….along with gold hardware, I'd be an even bigger fan. The big visual appeal for me for this particular model is the lack of the flashy binding.

I like it. It has bling. Just silver bling.

Photographs seldom capture the 'color effect' of guitars. If I saw this Falcon I might really dig it. From the photo though, it doesn't excite me; not that there is anything wrong with it; just not for me. My two favorite Gretsch finishes are the smoke grey/metallic violet that they used for some Country Clubs that are discontinued, and still the two tone green Annies. Generally speaking though, I think Gretsch has the best colors of all guitar brands. I'm waiting to see them issue one with a copper sparkle top. I like your blue burst 6120 Dave. When I first saw them it was hard not to buy one. I also like the Golden Anniversary 6120.

BTW, if anyone wants a 2013 Black Falcon 6136DS for a great price, shoot me a PM or email. I'm waiting for Tavo to sell his black 6120SSU before I put up pics and an official for sale post on the forum.

If it was the shade of blue on my '98 6120 Blue Burst (minus the black around the edges)...…….along with gold hardware, I'd be an even bigger fan. The big visual appeal for me for this particular model is the lack of the flashy binding.

– Windsordave

Ugh! That's gorgeous!

Per Journeyman's comment, the photos Gretsch uses on their website never seem to do justice to the instruments. The occasional "casual" photos in some of their emails clearly show the real beauty of the instruments. They should do that for the website listings.

Gibson has always used photos with a lot of eye-pop that give a real sense of guitars' beauty.

For some reason -- and I don't know why -- I've never been a Falcon fan.

I've never been a fan of Falcons, either, Dan, but I like this blue one. Really like it.

I can't understand why I like it though, when I find the White Falcons too "over the top". A change of color shouldn't change my mind about my desire for one, since all the appointments still remain, but lo and behold, it did.

The blue and silver work well for me.

I've never been a fan of Falcons, either, Dan, but I like this blue one. Really like it.

I can't understand why I like it though, when I find the White Falcons too "over the top". A change of color shouldn't change my mind about my desire for one, since all the appointments still remain, but lo and behold, it did.

– crowbone

This new blue one doesn't have the flashy binding so your eye can more easily focus on the finish color, not the glitz. And it has the silver/chrome hardware, again less flashy so perhaps the combination of these appointments makes it more appealing to you.

The less Bling works well here with this color scheme. No vertical headstock logo or wings, elegant thumbnails, etc. Perfect storm for getting it right.

All the Falcon bits that represent that model's usual bling are gone here and seems to be appreciated in this small sampling. Your pointing out the headstock logo and lack of wings are two other appointments that have always kept me clear of Falcons.

A couple years ago I played a mint, used modern 6136 in the 'Used' room through a Twin at a local L&M and no matter how I configured the controls it didn't do a thing for me. Could've had it cheap at $2200 Cdn too. It sat there for best part of a year as well while new Gretsches costing more were also on the wall and did sell.

Very nice. I'm glad they chose silver over gold.

Still, I'd rather have a highland green Hot Rod.

I guess I am old and stuck in my ways, a Falcon isn't a Falcon unless is is white. Just an old fart's opinion.

I guess I am old and stuck in my ways, a Falcon isn't a Falcon unless is is white. Just an old fart's opinion.

– GreTschocaster

Actually, I'm an old fart and feel the same way as you do................coming from a guy who now has a Phoenix, and runs and ducks! Lol

There are plenty of members here that think Falcons should only be white. This blue one really peaks my interest though. Have you guys seen the gold one that HotRodWalt painted on his Facebook?

In a perfect world, I agree with Gretschocaster & JD but it isn't a perfect world and we have to live with the fact that companies have to show a profit. Since Fender took over the manufacturing of guitars for Gretsch and particularly in the past 5 years or so, we have applaud Gretsch's design folks and Joe's stellar marketing efforts. Much as I'd like to see certain colors reserved for certain models, it just isn't in the cards in today's world. If it were up to me, Falcons would be the only model in white, either stark white or ivory and have all the bling and the vertical logo & wings. Gents would only come in walnut. I'm a traditionalist, ie, old fart, in that regard. Use different model names with perhaps different features for other colors.

I happen to like this for its understatefulness and elegant color. If the color were just a little paler toward silver, it would look a lot like my first car, a fondly-remembered 1965 Vista Cruiser.

As long as Gretsch keeps the traditional configuration for the traditional feller, what's the fuss about some alternative approaches?

I like everything - but not necessarily for me. However, the more experiments, the more successes that do appeal - to each individual among the vast throng of Everyone.

Jimmie Webster was my kind of traditionalist.

He was also interested in making money for Gretsch.

It's nice, but I like this better.

I prefer the blue and silver, but could easily be talked into this blue and gold one without much arm twisting.

Register Sign in to join the conversation