Modern Gretsch Guitars

Any thoughts on the 5135CVT?

Not at all, TP! I know exactly what he meant.

I am also not an IP guy, but I believe that you are correct about the ability to lose what is not used. The general gist of the story that I heard (it could have been apochryphal) was that there was an interruption in the use of the name, accompanied by a failure to adequately act to protect it as a Gretsch name once its use was resumed, but, in the meantime, as you correctly state, Warwick started using the name and perfected its interest in the name. And then told Gretsch that they had been untimely and that Warwick would not allow Gretsch to continue to use the name.

Something like that.

– Ric12string

See, I knew a lawyer would chime in!

It's a disease, Doc. Can't you cure it?

My first Gretsch guitar was a Corvette. I'm not sure about the new ones but the neck on my 1968 is awesome. It feels like a Gibson 50s profile neck. The HiLotron pickups are the clearest and cleanest sounding pickups I've ever used. They faithfully reproduce the sound of the guitar and they let the amp dial in whatever personality you want to achieve from it.

So I bought a used G5135 in early May and, having played it a lot in the interim, I really like the guitar. It's definitely a keeper. I'd like to get a case and was hoping folks on the forum would offer suggestions.

A few weeks ago I saw a Corvette with a Coffin hard case for sale on the Bay. I was surprised as I don't recall ever seeing a such a hard case for a Corvette.

On the other hand, I lucked out at a guitar show where GDP member Alpep had a vintage rectangular Gretsch hard shell case probably for a Gretsch Committee or Beast. Great fit. It even fit n the overhead on two planes.

You could also look at standard rectangular hard cases. I have one for a jazz master clone. The difference between the Gretsch case and this one is that the Gretsch case is about three inches shorter. The Corvette clearly fits better in the Gretsch case.

I would recommend looking either for a Coffin case or an old Gretsch rectangular case if you can find one. They do sell new Gretsch rectangular cases for Corvettes or maybe $200(?).

I have a G&G made rectangular Fender case for mine, it fits perfectly. This is one of the Fender cases where the guitar neck sits in the centerline of the case, NOT at an angle like some Tele cases, although it will fit in some of those too, if they don't have a form-fit body cutout.

My CVT is one of my guitars that I'll never sell. Used, it's worth ~$300-400 bucks. It's just a great guitar. The neck is hefty and extremely comfortable. It's not the same shape as the 50's ones which to me seem a bit bigger and rounder. The new ones have more shoulder. Very comfy. The MegaTron pups sound quite good. A bit darker than HS Filters with more mids but definitely not as dark as Powertrons at all. The bridge is very Rock and Roll with a fun edge to it. I've contemplated switching them out for TV SuperTrons, but honestly I think it won't be much of an upgrade; more of a subtle shift. MegaTrons are good pickups in this guitar.

The guitar is light and solid, and feels very well put together. I haven't played lots of 50's ones, but the ones I have played haven't felt as tight fit and finish-wise as the reissue. It may be that I just got a good one, but it feels like a $1K guitar, not a $300 one. I was just playing it with my son last night. It's one of those guitars that, if you pick it up after not playing it for a while, you're struck by how good it is. Perfect balance, light, great neck, really good ergo's (again, for me). They're a much better guitar than they should be.

Mine's definitely Mahogany. That's actually why I got interested it it in the first place. I was jonesing for a light, all-Mahogany solid body, and was looking at SG's. The CVT was just a better guitar than most of the SG's I tried; some of which were neck-heavy, nearly all had crap edge work on the frets, and they were all more $. The CVT is a very good design.

Mine's definitely Mahogany. That's actually why I got interested it it in the first place. I was jonesing for a light, all-Mahogany solid body, and was looking at SG's. The CVT was just a better guitar than most of the SG's I tried; some of which were neck-heavy, nearly all had crap edge work on the frets, and they were all more $. The CVT is a very good design.

– Rhythmisking

I agree on all accounts. Mine's mahogany too (2008 model), but I understand in very recent years they've shifted away from mahogany to something else? Maple, perhaps? I haven't seen a "new" one in recent years, so I can't confirm this.

Wish they did them again in black:

and white:

The white is nice but that black/gold Nono model is ... ummm umm!

The Gretsch web site is back to listing the body on the CVT as solid mahogany. I think the "five ply maple" stuff was just another Gretsch web site glitch. We all know of instances in the past where the specs for a given model have been wrong. Here's what shows up now.

Gretsch G5135CVT Web Page

A GDP member named "Travis Johnson" had a CVT up for sale about a year ago in Garage Sale with a poly case that looked like it was a good fit. I tried sending a message to him, but it bounced. I'm hoping he'll see this and chime in on the case in question.

The Electromatic Corvettes are pretty cool - the only Electromatics I've played I really liked.

Register Sign in to join the conversation