Modern Gretsch Guitars

Any reason I shouldnt buy a Jim dandy?

My beater acoustic Córdoba was destroyed yesterday. And I need a new around the house acoustic How are the gretsch Jim dandy guitars ?

I bought one, and liked it (for what it was). I sanded the bridge to get a little better action, and I think I could have even sanded a bit more to get even better action. I ended up giving it to my son so he could have it for an "around the house" acoustic.

For the price, it was nice to not have to worry about it getting dinged or scratched.

As for the sound...to me, it sounded pretty much exactly like you'd think a $100 guitar would sound. ....not necessarily a "bad" thing...but its not going to give any Martins, Taylor's, Guilds or Gibson's any challenges.

That's what I was thinking would be the case. Bad action and lackluster tone. Thanks

I keep all of my guitars in their cases to save them from dog noses and toddlers. I keep one or two at hand---a $50 Epi acoustic and a Martin Backpacker---both that would be hard to hurt. That's why they call them "beaters".

Mine had near-perfect action out of the box. The fit and finish are really good for a cheap guitar. I leave mine leaning against the couch, and I play it most every day. All I've done since August is change the strings.

If you expect it to compete with a Martin, you have unreasonable expectations. This is a little (3/4-size or so) guitar modeled after the catalog guitars from the 1920s and 30s. It's not supposed to have a big sound. But it has its own voice. Sometimes you want Robert Plant; sometimes you want Willie Nelson.

Don't rely on your imagination to decide you wouldn't like it. Look around on YouTube and listen to some players play theirs. Then decide whether it's worth $150 to add it to your lineup.

I can't really think of a reason to buy one

I like mine. I mainly play electrics, but to me the Jim Dandy sounds fine. For $150 or whatever I think it's a good deal.

Fun composing (i.e., "noodling") and vocal accompaniment tool that you can leave out on a stand for easy access 24/7. Mine was very playable right out of the box, and these li'l axes -- which, don't get me wrong, are not intended to be confused with pricey, "professional grade"/"high performance" instruments -- are somewhat more versatile than one might assume: they can sound brash/boxy or plummy/round depending on picking hand placement, choice of plectrum or fingers, string type (many owners change out the stock D'Addarios for lighter gauge Martin Silk and Steels), and whether you're in a strumming or fingerpicking mood. Does it sound objectively "better" than, say, a Taylor GS Mini? No, it does not. Is it a bluesy-toned, super-cool looker (and a Gretsch, to boot) for next to no dollars? Yes, it is.

So then they are decent little guitars? And they are playable? I wouldn't expect it to sound like a Martin I just want something that isn't a chore to play. I had a rogue parlor guitar a few years ago and found it sounded terrible and was barley playable I ended up giving it away. So I just need something I can noodle on and enjoy playing. And not have to keep my toddler away from it. I learned that one the hard way when she was teething I got teeth marks on my dsw when she snuck up on me while I was playing

Don't take my initial comments wrong....it played fine out of the box....I made it play a little better by sanding the bridge a bit...and with some more tweaking it would have played even better.

I think it is a fine guitar "for the price" (I got mine new for about $110, bundled with the purchase of some other items). It doesn't have a "big" sound, but as others have pointed out, I would not (and did not) expect it to.

If you want a "beater" it is a decent little guitar and would likely satisfy your needs. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with it "for what it is".....if it was junk, I would not have given it to my son (who is an experienced player)...I would have tossed it out.

The only reason I gave it to him was because I am moving, and I do not have room to keep it around, and I also have some other smaller acoustic guitars that I can have out and at hand (a Vagabond Travel Guitar).

So then they are decent little guitars? And they are playable? I wouldn't expect it to sound like a Martin I just want something that isn't a chore to play. I had a rogue parlor guitar a few years ago and found it sounded terrible and was barley playable I ended up giving it away. So I just need something I can noodle on and enjoy playing. And not have to keep my toddler away from it. I learned that one the hard way when she was teething I got teeth marks on my dsw when she snuck up on me while I was playing

– Hollerbody

Yeah, it's a great little noodler, and it's very playable. It's the opposite of a chore to play. Short scale, smaller stretches, friendly intimate sound. Great couch guitar, very well made.

I've never played a Rogue, so I can't compare.

Ive been playing for over 40 years and bought the Jim Dandy for travel. For the life of me i cant figure out how to change the strings...its not the peg style im used to (Martin). There is this wooden bar in the way after you thread the string thru the hole---help !!

Just give the end of the string a bend so when you push it in the hole it will bend up enough to clear.

They play fine and sound fine, but if your hands and brain are used to a dreadnaught it will just feel too small. At least that is my experience.

If you act quickly and locate a 9531 or 9521, there is absolutely no reason to own a Jim Dandy (unless you like the novelty and colors, etc.). The 9531/9521 are real guitars that are smaller size, so they can easily sit in a stand near the sofa while you are watching TV and want to noodle. Yet, they actually sound good. The little Jim Dandy and the like are simply too mid-rangey for my ears.

Get yourself one of these real guitars.

The 95xx series are the bomb! Love the feel of the neck. If I didn't have a JD, I would have bought it right away. But the JD is a class of its own. Love the small body, the zingy tone is fine with me.

If you act quickly and locate a 9531 or 9521, there is absolutely no reason to own a Jim Dandy (unless you like the novelty and colors, etc.). The 9531/9521 are real guitars that are smaller size, so they can easily sit in a stand near the sofa while you are watching TV and want to noodle. Yet, they actually sound good. The little Jim Dandy and the like are simply too mid-rangey for my ears.

Get yourself one of these real guitars.

– Ric12string

I got this one. I did have my guitar tech set it up. It melts in your hands. I sold my 90s Hummingbird to buy my Gretsch Pro Jet. But ended up missing my acoustic. Got this and just had to buy a Rancher jr. Case to make her safe and sound. A steal of an acoustic guitar.

I got this one. I did have my guitar tech set it up. It melts in your hands. I sold my 90s Hummingbird to buy my Gretsch Pro Jet. But ended up missing my acoustic. Got this and just had to buy a Rancher jr. Case to make her safe and sound. A steal of an acoustic guitar.

– GeorgeCornwell

Yep. Smart move on your part. Great guitars.

the 95xx series is the bomb. if i had the budgetary room i would totally buy the 00 version for a travel guitar.

Any guitar that doesn't have construction flaws can be made to play well. If a $175 guitar comes out of the box playing well, you either don't know what a good player feels like, or something just short of a miracle has occurred. It's not going to sound like a great guitar. With a set-up, I'm sure you'll have a fine beater/couch plinker/camper/toss-it-in-the-trunk-and-go-on-vacation guitar. New wood can move in a lot of directions. Buy one 3+ years old or brand new and hang on to the warranty card.

It's not only that these G95X1 guitars play well; it is that they also sound great.

they seem much better built than the other inexpensive guitars that are close in price, e.g. that cute little Recording King with the MOTS fretboard.

They are great little players but I agree that the 95** models are a step above. I love Karolyn's.

i just looked on Reverb, and the Jim Dandys seem to go for $125-150 while the 00 sized Gretsch goes for $200-250. i'd certainly spend the extra $100...even $250 is hella cheap for a nice acoustic.

mac, so that we are clear, I think that those Reverb.com prices are most likely used models. The street price on the new 00 models (G9531) is typically $399.99.

On the other hand, just how "used" can a guitar be that was only first marketed two years ago? Those used ones would probably be a bargain.

Register Sign in to join the conversation