Modern Gretsch Guitars

Any love for the Gretsch CGP 6120 stereo guitar?

Wow, two of 75 arriving damaged? That seems unlikely. Since I'm sure you too aren't telling tall tales, this model must be cursed. Stay away.

– Afire

not at all, mine (the one I bought and immediately returned) was used and the seller didn't disclose damage prior to the sale. The CGP is still on my radar as a must-have Chet model for me.

The whole concept of a stereo guitar is interesting to me. How were the stereo Falcons like Neil Young's wired? Differently from the Chet? The CGP was wired with the bass strings in one output and the treble at the other, correct? I guess the Gibson stereo ES-345 had each pickup going to a separate output with a stereo jack, so it wasn't as tweaky as the Gretsch.

Back in the '70's Jesse Colin Young had a Telecaster with pickups Red Rhodes made where every other string went to a different output (E D B/A G E), He used it with two amps. I don't know if he still has it.

The CGP was wired with the bass strings in one output and the treble at the other, correct?

Yes. But only the neck pickup. The bridge pickup was not stereo.

I guess the Gibson stereo ES-345 had each pickup going to a separate output with a stereo jack

Same like Rickenbacker's Ric-o-Sound, and the Wurlitzer "Wild Ones" guitars from the mid-60s, and most other stereo guitars I've heard of. It's something, but it's not nearly as dramatic a stereo effect as the 3/3 split.

The Young/Rhodes every-other-string stereo Tele sounds interesting.

ANY kind of stereo assignment of individual strings is trivial with some modern modeling guitars...but to me, it's not as "authentic" as doing it with tweakily-wound magnetic pickups. I suppose that's just because I'm old.

Register Sign in to join the conversation