Modern Gretsch Guitars

Any Bright New Ideas for Managing Single Coil Hum?

As usual Billy Zoom comes through with his KISS solution Keep it simple stupid!

Most Gretsch’s have a kill switch.

The trim pots are used to blend the inverted signal from the dummy coil with the signal from each pickup. So one trim pot per pickup. The pots can be all the way to the counter clockwise position to have no noise reduction to maximum noise reduction when turned all the way clockwise. I have mine set for maximum noise reduction. You could replace one of you normal guitar pots with a push-pull pot and make it so you could easily toggle between noise reduction and none, giving you flexibility to use only for noisy environments.

As usual Billy Zoom comes through with his KISS solution Keep it simple stupid!

Most Gretsch’s have a kill switch.

– Dennyhummel

Yea, but Billy has a sense of humor about it. I'll admit that I'm finicky about gear, and it is laughable at times, for sure. I have five Gretsches though and danged if I can find a kill switch on any of 'em.

I often play a Telecaster that had a loud hum....expected. I wanted a metal pick guard and got one from Fender. Put it on and no hum. Later I decided that I wanted a paisley pickguard but I would lose my shielding if I took the metal gaurd off so I put the paisley, plastic guard over the stainless steel guard. Thus I had 2 pickguards on the guitar. It did the job and looks cool.

Register Sign in to join the conversation