Modern Gretsch Guitars

Adjusting Dyna Sonic Pickups ????

Is there a tutorial here to show how to properly adjust Dyna Sonic Pickups?

Thanks,

Lucky

For the bridge pickup I bought these foam TV Jones shims to get the bridge pickup as close to the strings as possible without it distorting. Then I adjusted the pole pieces slightly using my hearing and the string radius as a guide for string balance.

For the neck pickup I left the pickup lower but raised the pole pieces and adjusted them using my hearing and the string radius as a guide to determine the correct height and balance for more clarity from the neck.

I also flipped the pickups 180 degrees so the poles were facing inward instead of outward. This helped me with achieving more body from the bridge pickup and even more clarity from the neck pickup. This balanced out the sound in my guitar. This may not work for all guitars and I only did it as a last ditch effort to see if it would work before I spent good money on T'Armonds. Fortunately for me it worked. I love the sound I get with the standard Gretsch Dynasonics.

I got this picture from somewhere on one of these threads years ago (I thought it was sticky, perhaps not). It's a good starting point.

All other tips are - get them as close to the strings as possible and then adjust to preference.

Read Mal's set up guide here. It talks about pickup adjustment.

Are they new Gretsch Dynasonics or old DeArmonds? I know on my Electro 2 that the old DeArmonds seemed very bass heavy with conventional 'nickel wound/plated' strings. So much that the bass side poles were sunk and the treble ones yanked up. I was told that pure nickel strings help as the wound strings are much less magnetic, thus quieter, making it easier to balance them bass to treble. It worked for me.

The picture guide Devil's Tool posted is pretty well how my pickups are adjusted otherwise, as far as poles go. Shim up the bridge pickup as suggested to get it the same volume of the neck pickup to obtain a nice both pickups sound.

For the bridge pickup I bought these foam TV Jones shims to get the bridge pickup as close to the strings as possible without it distorting. Then I adjusted the pole pieces slightly using my hearing and the string radius as a guide for string balance.

For the neck pickup I left the pickup lower but raised the pole pieces and adjusted them using my hearing and the string radius as a guide to determine the correct height and balance for more clarity from the neck.

I also flipped the pickups 180 degrees so the poles were facing inward instead of outward. This helped me with achieving more body from the bridge pickup and even more clarity from the neck pickup. This balanced out the sound in my guitar. This may not work for all guitars and I only did it as a last ditch effort to see if it would work before I spent good money on T'Armonds. Fortunately for me it worked. I love the sound I get with the standard Gretsch Dynasonics.

– BuddyHollywood

+1 on the shims for Gretsch Dynas or T'Armonds and getting them up close to the strings. Pole pieces should be for the fine tuning of it. The image posted above may be a good staring point but really you can just use your ears to balance the strings out. The pole pieces on my T'Armond bridge pup look little strange but it sounds right!

The Duncan Dynas I have on my Jet have much stronger magnets, which is more vintage correct. I've found they have to be much lower (from the strings) or they pull on the string too much and kill the sustain higher on the neck. On those my pole pieces are nearly flat and flush with the top of the pup - little upward arc toward the middle strings, more so on the bridge pup than on the neck.

I don't flip mine around. I like twang on the bridge and the neck pup is plenty bright already.

The adjustment on my GH Duo Jets Dynasonics look nothing like the picture posted above. 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th are low 3rd & 4th are high. Almost a perfect arch. I'll try to adjust them by ear.

Is it best to adjust Poles volume up to the loudest String? Or?

The G string is unwound.

Could you guys go into a little more how to detail about shimming the Bridge Pickup?

Thanks,

Lucky

Also, where is Mals Set up Guide? Did a Search but came up with nada.

Thanks,

Lucky

I think we first need to know how high the pickups should be shimmed. By that I mean the distance from the top of the pickup (not the poles) to the strings. I have two Gretsch guitars with Dynasonic pickups but these distances are different.

I just did this yesterday with my T-Armonds and it made a world of difference. I have three risers, two foam and one plastic under the bridge, so the whole body is very close to the strings, but the poles are very low, some even sunken into the pickup. Its very fat now, but still clear and twangy, just more of a growling twang. Like Buddy, I have the neck pickup body low, only two risers, with the poles extended pretty far out. I feel that they are balanced in volume now and I get some decent bell/piano tone from the neck.

This from TV Jones. Should work well for Gretsch Dyans, as well...

"Each TV Jones pickup is shipped with the pole screws set to their optimal height. We recommend adjusting the entire pickup rather than adjusting individual pole screws. TV Jones pickups sound best when close to the strings – see pickup placement above for more information."

Also, where is Mals Set up Guide? Did a Search but came up with nada.

Thanks,

Lucky

– lucky

Look at my post above. I linked to it for you there.

That guide is good stuff Here's how my DeArmonds are shimmed on my Electro. I just made some celluloid tortoiseshell shins today. (celluloid can spontaneously combust if you're cutting it with a metal blad usinga jigsaw.....) I only had thin stuff so the bridge pickup has 5 layers (7.7mm or about .3") compared to 1 for the neck.(1.45mm or .055") 5/16" from bottom of low E to top of pickup for neck 3/16" for bridge Works well and achieves a good balance between the pickups I'd rather achieve more clarity and jangle out of DeArmonds than 'fatness'

Anybody know the 'safe' distance to keep the pole pieces from the strings to avoid sustain loss and tuning problems with Dynasonics?

From the neck, pole piece staggering for heavy strings with a wound G, Seems extreme but it's about right. I use my ears and the VU meter on my Space Echo.

I just ordered some of the shims from TV Jones to experiment with. My pickups are much lower then being recommended.

I just ordered some of the shims from TV Jones to experiment with. My pickups are much lower then being recommended.

– GreTschocaster

Do you like how they sound? Other peoples recommendations aren't for everyone. i might even lower my bridge pickup one space and raise the pole pieces to make it brighter and clearer as it's already pretty far from the bridge (which makes it less bright)

Mals Guide is great. I printed a Copy & keeping it in my Duo Jet file.

I think the only Pole that needs to be adjusted on mine is the low E. It's way louder & sustains to infinity. Probably adjust it a tad lower & see.

Thanks,

Lucky

Register Sign in to join the conversation