Modern Gretsch Guitars

About to go ahead on Duo Jet - any thoughts?

Hi All.

Serial no JT13010318

Seller seems genuine. Seller thinks it may have been '59 or '57 reissue with nitro finish. Has certificate of authenticity stating 6128T.

Has Dynasonics but concern is Bigsby branded Bigsby - I thought they were branded as Gretsch? The arm had been changed to fixed but seller has original arm.

Thanks

Dynasonics on a Jet is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't be too worried about the Bigsby. Probably an add on but it wouldn't be a deal breaker, for me.

Based on the S/N it's a 2013 model. Looks lovely.

6128DSV, I had the same guitar and loved it, mine came with a plain case instead of that lovely tweed. It's a '55 reissue, Bigsby is correct for that year RI, Gretsch branded didn't start until around '60. I only sold it when a real '55 at a killer price fell in my lap.

Awesome. Thanks all. Will go ahead.

Buy, buy baby! A Dyna Duo Jet is a wonderful thing.

You're making the right decision

Yes, that’s a DSV. They came with the Bigsby Bigsby, a fixed arm and a swivel arm (that tends to break). I’ve got the same model and it’s a wonderful guitar!

I briefly had one with a JD prefix. It had similar appointments, but a V profile neck that I struggled with. The lacquer finish can wear from the black front leaving a tidemark, but I managed to polish is out eventually.

You don't have this yet?

Picked it up last week. Very happy. Exceptionally well made guitar.

Came with fixed arm Bigsby and moveable arm as well as spare roller bar bridge in addition to stock Melitta bridge.

Thanks everyone.

Congrats - a bucket list Jet for me. Enjoy it!

My favorite Gretsch guitar! Congratulations.

Here is my 2011 DSV Duo Jet. I also switched to the swivel arm when I got it and it broke within a month. I have gotten used to and now like the fixed arm Bigsby.

How is it you guys are breaking your Bigsby arms??? Seriously, I can't imagine breaking one.

Is it that stupid little spring under the handle? That piece of the hardware has never made sense to me; why you would want extra play in the handle that doesn't actually do anything.

I always eliminate any wobble there anyway.

Congrats! Sorry to say that we are enablers when it comes to this sort of thing.

How is it you guys are breaking your Bigsby arms??? Seriously, I can't imagine breaking one.

Is it that stupid little spring under the handle? That piece of the hardware has never made sense to me; why you would want extra play in the handle that doesn't actually do anything.

I always eliminate any wobble there anyway.

– Rhythmisking

My Duo Jet came with a thick fixed arm and a swivel arm that was very thin by the base of the arm. It broke with not much play. I was shocked too.

My Duo Jet came with a thick fixed arm and a swivel arm that was very thin by the base of the arm. It broke with not much play. I was shocked too.

– BuddyHollywood

Yep, that’s the one!

Yeah, I gotta know. How do you BREAK a Bigsby arm?

That second little spring under the bolt for the handle makes the whole system so flexy I don't know how you'd have room to move the handle enough to break it. It would hit the top of the guitar (or pickguard) before it even bent. Or is from über-athletic UP-bends? Wouldn't you break strings first?

Break a Bigsby arm. I just can't imagine.

Happy DSV owner here, too -- my only non-vintage guitar. It is fantastic.

(though I did eventually swap the Dynas for T'Armonds)

Register Sign in to join the conversation