Modern Gretsch Guitars

99 6120 sh Candy apple red

So my lovely girlfriend has just financed a setzer hot rod for me from reverb.com for me, to celebrate our first anniversary. The listing had very little info other than it had been "modded" with sperzel tuners and had filtertrons. The serial number indicates that it's a July of '99 model. I can't seem to find any info on what those pickups would be, either the hot rod filtertrons that I believe were designed by tv? Or regular filtertrons. Of course there is that chance, that in 18 years someone has put the tv jones in there. The seller didn't know so I'll find out when it gets here. I was just hoping for any info you guys might be able to throw my way. I know tavo is a big fanand I've seen the video of buzz Campbell playing one. Thanks folks!

Hot rod filters or tv jones, it doesn't matter- you have one helluvah girlfriend there! lucky guy!

Hot rod filters or tv jones, it doesn't matter- you have one helluvah girlfriend there! lucky guy!

– jetbunny

Agreed my good man!

the originals were an alnico filtertron that were not tvjones. The stock hotrod pickups have a very crisp high edge to their sound and are somewhat microphonic w heavy overdrive or distortion although it various from instrument to instrument. I've had 4 pre FMIC hotrods that sounded and felt consistently the same, other than my last Jan 99' that had a set of squealers. You got the one Setzer loves and still uses! sweeeet!

the originals were an alnico filtertron that were not tvjones. The stock hotrod pickups have a very crisp high edge to their sound and are somewhat microphonic w heavy overdrive or distortion although it various from instrument to instrument. I've had 4 pre FMIC hotrods that sounded and felt consistently the same, other than my last Jan 99' that had a set of squealers. You got the one Setzer loves and still uses! sweeeet!

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Thanks man I wa hoping you'd chime in! So that old of a model WOULD have the hot rod filters?

Register Sign in to join the conversation