Modern Gretsch Guitars

6228FM Classics Conversion

I converted my new 6228 FM to TV Jones Classics this morning. Here are the original larger humbuckers.

Here you can see the bezel is thinner to accommodate the larger size of the Broad-Tron pickups.

Here it is strung up with the new pickups. Plays great, less filling! I got PAF covers so I can imagine what could have been if Gretsch had produced the Filtertrons earlier, kept the script logo a little longer, and used a TOM bridge with a flame maple top. I even considered having a guitar just like this made with a larger body size and calling it a “Jumbo” Jet!

My whole rig is calibrated to TV Jones Classics and T-Armonds. I converted my Broadkaster to Classics too. The only exception is my Black Falcon Players Edition which has a classic in the neck and a Classic plus in the bridge per Tom’s suggestion. They all sound A little different, but great. The body construction really makes a difference. The Falcon definitely has a bigger bolder tone. You can hear the big body for sure! I tend to favor the bridge pickup, with occasional middle position use.

Here it is strung up with the new pickups. Plays great, less filling! I got PAF covers so I can imagine what could have been if Gretsch had produced the Filtertrons earlier, kept the script logo a little longer, and used a TOM bridge with a flame maple top. I even considered having a guitar just like this made with a larger body size and calling it a “Jumbo” Jet!

– Powertronman

I had the same idea about a larger Jet and calling it a Jumbo. I think a 16" body would be fun. With the arrow knobs and the other touches, your Jet does look like an alternate history Duo Jet.

That's a beautiful guitar!

That is one gorgeous guitar!!

I concur! That is a very sweet looking guitar!

– Powertronman

This has the thinner body when they weren’t quite period correct. It looks the same from the cavity as my ‘57 vintage spec Dou-Jet, but it is slightly heavier so it seems it may have more wood in there.

The conversion looks great. I actually didn’t realize the pickups rings were the same size. That’s good to know.

I’m not sure what your plan is with the old BT65A’s so I sent you a private message.

Register Sign in to join the conversation