Modern Gretsch Guitars

6122-1959 for sale in Canada (near me). Says like new. Great price…

No affiliation with this guitar or seller. This ad has been up for a week on CL. Seller is obviously looking for a buyer who knows all about this model as there aren't pics or an extensive description. With the exchange rate heavily in favor of US folks it makes this a pretty good deal for someone looking for one of these, assuming it's what it purports to be...."like brand new."

If someone is seriously interested, and after contacting the seller, wants an eyeball view of it's condition and ensure it plays properly, I can give it a test drive for ya'.

https://vancouver.craigslis...

$3200cdn is about $2400usd which seems high to me. If it’s sold out of someone’s house on Craigslist, it’s not brand new.

No pictures in the ad?? The seller is not trying hard enough

I also didn't find this to be a particularly great price. I bought the same guitar used from another GDPer and paid substantially less than this price. And the one that I purchased was indeed in excellent condition. And it came with a cowboy case.

Can't sell a guitar from Craigslist without any photographs.

I'm well aware that this is a poor ad, having no pics, but it's about 20 mins from me and I could have a look for someone seriously interested.

I'm curious Bob regarding this price when converted to US funds, compared to what you paid. I used $1.29 as the [current] conversion factor and this brings the price down to $2272 US and for a flagship guitar, I don't think that's too bad a price.

The fact the seller didn't put even as much as one pic in his ad and the market for this model is very, very small, to me it gives a buyer a good foot to bargain on. Use the poor ad as a bargaining tool. Someone can contact the seller for more info and give them their email or phone number and when it doesn't sell, the seller might contact them with a reduced price.

So, you’re really looking for an excuse to go see the guitar and fall in love with it?

So, you’re really looking for an excuse to go see the guitar and fall in love with it?

– hammerhands

No, not at all. Not much really cool comes up for sale around here and for a US buyer, it's close to the border if they live in the Bellingham area so they could play it themselves.

I know I'd love - the wide neck and all! - but I'm not in the market for any gear, a perfect Gretsch or not!

No, not at all. Not much really cool comes up for sale around here and for a US buyer, it's close to the border if they live in the Bellingham area so they could play it themselves.

I know I'd love - the wide neck and all! - but I'm not in the market for any gear, a perfect Gretsch or not!

– Windsordave

Since when do we allow for logic to get in the way of GAS? At least give it a test.

Well Baba, I can't argue with that! If it's set up perfectly, it'll come close to feeling exactly like my personalized neck Super Chet. I say close because it has the similar wider neck of the SC but not the wider spaced slots in the nut. Besides, this is our Thanksgiving long weekend and it's been a long week so I'm just relaxing. Anyone wants me to look at it though, Iet me know with the seller's phone number and I'll see what I can do.

The antacids have nicely quelled any gas!

Dave - I bought a 6122-1959 off this forum that was listed for around $1500-1600USD (three years ago - don’t remember the exact figures) and the seller did some friendly negotiation. A little tarnish on the Bigsby, but otherwise mint. Even in Canada, I think Gretsches other than Falcons have trouble getting above the $2200-2400 mark in CDN dollars, which equates to $1700-1800USD.

Price seems high to me. Or maybe I just sold way too low.

The exchange currently equates to $2,470.00 US. That is a lot for a used Gretsch Professional Line guitar, no matter what its condition is. By the way, we don't even know what year this guitar was built.

There are a couple on Reverb right now for $1850 (very good) and $2,000 (excellent). A brand new Golden Era model is selling there for $3,000. And, of course, those are the asking prices rather than the sale prices.

Well the prices are lower than I had thought they were for a top of the line model. Obviously it is what it is. If they'd been that low and even available 4 odd years ago I'd have had one but they weren't. I wanted an HOF but would've been okay with one of these. I looked for many months for one and none available, let alone at a good price.

This area of the country, despite a decent size population isn't an area flush with Gretsches. This model tends to have a very specific buyer, making the buyers available what couldn't even be regarded as a 'pool'.....more like a pothole's worth.

Register Sign in to join the conversation