Modern Gretsch Guitars

G6122-1958 CG reissue question

Hi, anyone familiar with the later 6122 1958 Country Gent Chet reissues (2007-2014)? Wondering if the headstock size and shape is correct from vintage spec? In some photos it looks larger than some real 58's and 59's.

Any other advice or personal experience, opinions with the G6122-1958 also appreciated thx!

The model is one of the under-appreciated miracles of that era in Gretsch production, when for a time there were several largely vintage-correct Gents in the line, capturing the essential evolutionary history of the model. All were unique in the combination of specs necessary to reflect vintage practice, particularly scale length and details of body build.

The '58 represented the starting point: deeper body, 24.6" scale length. That made it the Gent which was most unlike any later 6122s which became the best known "iconic" versions of the guitar.

I'm not sure it so much flew under the radar as that it just didn't appeal to many who were looking for Gents either for the most notable Chet Atkins connection (the 25.5" scale '59 singlecut) or for the Harrison mystique (the 24.6" mute-belabored '62 doublecut). Given that, it was never a brisk seller.

But most who have one would never ever part with it, and I can attest from my experiences playing several that I wouldn't either - if I had one. There's something about the combination of features which add up to a tone and note envelope that few, if any, other Gretschs get. While the model hasn't been at the top of my Gretsch lustlist - at least not when both market availability and funds aligned - I still sometimes feel a '58-sized hole in my Gretsch collection (which includes both the '59 and a '62). I haven't entirely given up on filling it.

I never noticed any apparent variance of headstock size and shape from vintage norms, nor do I recall anyone else ever mentioning that in connection with the model. If it appears wrong in photos, it's probably an artifact of perspective in those pictures.

Headstocks on a vintage '58 are larger than a '59 and basically the same as the earlier Dynasonic versions. Gretsch has been very accurate with their vintage re-issues for at least a decade now.

The thing that isn't vintage spec is the body depth, if that matters to you. They were 2.25" deep from the beginning, even prototypes. There was/is some misinformation on the web dating from the late '90s that had the Gent at 2.75" deep at its introduction. I would bet that's what tripped up Gretsch. I only mention it because your question was about vintage accuracy. I know a lot of people love that model just the way it is.

The headstock is correct on the reissue. The body may also be correct. You can see Chet holding a '58 on page 170 of Chet Atkins: Me and My Guitars. The book incorrectly states that the session was in 1964. The album My Brother Sings was recorded July/Aug 1958. Unreleased, the Camden release came later. But the session was in 1958. That guitar has a giant head, stairstep tuners, two filtertrons, no zero fret, a 1-11/16" neck, and a brass nut--just like my '58RI (Gretsch added the brass nut to the RI sometime in the 2000s or 2010s). You'd have to look at the pics to make a judgment about body thickness. On page 72, Chet remarks that Gretsch kept making the CG "increasingly thinner over the years." That does not necessarily imply, of course, that the stock '58 was thicker than the stock '59. LMark

Register Sign in to join the conversation