Modern Gretsch Guitars

6121 question

Hi guys, I have a 2004 G6121W Roundup and the previous owner took off the bigsby and put on a different tailpiece, does anybody know what kind of Bigsby fits the thing, I'm thinking about trying to get it back to original. I also think it must be either B3 or B7... but? Grateful for any help

This is the one by the way.

I believe that had the solid B3 in gold...might be wrong on color though. I do however find that Super /Dyna combo interesting.

Interesting neck pickup, do you know what it is?

Interesting neck pickup, do you know what it is?

– GreTschocaster

That looks a lot like a TV Jones Supertron in DeArmond housing.

Yes the neck pickup is a supertron TV Jones. The guitar sounds and plays just terrific.. I just like to try it with a Bigsby on it, so thanks guys, I will order the B3.

The B3 is not gold, is it?

– hammerhands

I think the one that used to be on this one was not gold, it had gold pickups and steel bigsby.. a little weird but ok.

Actually... (and I realize that this reissue isn't trying to be an exact copy of the '55 6121), the original 1955 6121 model received a gold (anodized) Bigsby B3 with a period-standard fixed-arm handle. I'll agree that the fixed-arm isn't for most, so the swivel makes sense for today's player. So technically a gold B3 is correct. However, after the '55 model year Gretsch changed the Chet Model guitars (6120/6121) to the plain aluminum finish, which at the time might have looked odd considering the rest of the hardware remained gold-plated, but to my eye, after drooling over countless Chet models from the 50s and 60s, the aluminum vibrato is what looks "right".

Better view..

– 714Tom

Gorgeous guitar!! One of the models in what's considered the iconic group of Gretsches from the 'Golden Era'.

Every time I see one of these I remember the time after work one day when I visited a nice hole-in-the-wall music store on Queen St West in Toronto. Just dropped in to see what they had and play a few old guitars. Hanging up was a well used but in good condition 6130. It was a '55 or '56 IIRC. All the gold hardware had faded so I don't recall if the Bigsby was gold plated or not. I asked if I could play it and he said sure and to plug it into a vintage Twin nearby. The store was narrow but deep and I was a fair way from the front desk at the door. I began playing some Chet stuff and some things in his style I'd written. The owner came down to speak to me and really liked the sound and my playing. He said he could give me a bit of a deal but the tag said $3K which was way out of my league in the late '80's. Sure wish I had it now though! I've got enough Gretsches but it would fetch a hefty price today!

Hey Dave... if that guitar you played had Bigsby, then it was a 6121, not 6130 (Roundup).

Here's my '56 6121... cost me a few more clams that $3k, but maybe in 2014 dollars (when I got it) it comes out to be similar.

Hey Dave... if that guitar you played had Bigsby, then it was a 6121, not 6130 (Roundup).

Here's my '56 6121... cost me a few more clams that $3k, but maybe in 2014 dollars (when I got it) it comes out to be similar.

– kc_eddie_b

Sorry Ed, I should've been more specific regarding the photo. The leather on the sides was the main feature that triggered my memory. The one I played had the full cowboy treatment which included the belt buckle tailpiece, not a Bigsby, and a Melita bridge. Took some adjustment to rest the heel of my hand and knew I could never get used to that.

As I think about it, that guitar had the first fret marker - all were humpblocked - the steerhead logo and around 5, mostly large, knots, which weren't bookmarked.

I've always thought of that guitar as 'the one that got away' even though I couldn't afford it at the time.

The 6121 of mine came with the golden ,black enamel, b3 with the narrow vintage swivel away arm. I fake anodized mine. The hinge is closed( without a hole in the strap button area)

FWIW, my 6121 (issued in 2010) has the all-gold B3 with the narrow arm.

Voodoo... do you actually have the western belt buckle mounted to your Bigsby, or was that just mocked-up for the photo?

Voodoo... do you actually have the western belt buckle mounted to your Bigsby, or was that just mocked-up for the photo?

– kc_eddie_b

It's mounted to it !!!!

Mine was a lucky find , knew i would never have the opportunity to get one again.

Congrats, Wings. Very Nice. Looks like we need a western kitch thread.

Register Sign in to join the conversation