Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120t Viintage Select 55 issues

Hello Friends.

Has anyone experienced following issues with the 6120t vs 55 Chet Atkins?: 1. 1. Fret buzz: 2. Nut "ping" sound, tuning issues:

The guitar is brand new, I got it fromThomann.de. Once I got it, I took it to the shop (best in town) for adjustments - they fixed the nut issue but couldn't find the solution for fret buzz because the intonation and setup were already correct straight out of the box. They tried number of string action options, different nut, different bridge, fret polish and nothing worked, it kept buzzing. I send the guitar back to the store and asked for another 6120t vs 55. The one I got has EXACTLY the same issues. Don't know if should I try another one or just ask for a refund?

what string gauge? How high/low is your action?

Some of the buzzes in your youtube "fretbuzz" clip are what I would call "normal", as in : you won't hear them through the amp, they don't choke the string or interfere with notes and/or sustain, etc... All my guitars buzz to an extent if I pick had enough.

Some of those buzzes seem a little nasty, and sound like you might have a high or loose frets here and there, or a bump or valley somewhere on your fretboard. If your tech/shop can't find out why it buzzes, find a better tech.

Pickguard, loose knobs, harness inside... anything can buzz on a guitar. But since it's not rocket science I'm with Walter... Checking every single part (and it ain't too many) should make you find the cause.

Looks/sound like fret buzz and the nut needs some work. Simple stuff for a good tech. Adjust action/relief, check for a high fret, check that bridge radius matched fret board radius, widen offending nut slots to free up strings, lube every contact point, really not major stuff. Perhaps a better tech?

He paid for a brand new "Professional" Gretsch.!!!! IMO it has to be playable right out of the box for that high price. After I've bought a new Porsche, I don't drive to a mechanic to make it work.

Truss rod adjustment, maybe?

He paid for a brand new "Professional" Gretsch.!!!! IMO it has to be playable right out of the box for that high price. After I've bought a new Porsche, I don't drive to a mechanic to make it work.

– Voodooholly

I disagree to an extent Holly, and that's part of what's wrong with today's business model.

The guitars are made in Japan, and shipped halfway across the world to the USA or to Europe. They end up in a big box online store warehouse where they spend God knows how much or how little time, and then get shipped to yet another climate/humidity zone in the wettest, hottest month of summer, or maybe right now, on one of the coldest/dryest nights we're experiencing this winter in my part of Europe.

You plain cannot build or set up a guitar that will play great "out of the box" with any string gauge, that has to withstand all that travel and all those climate shifts and play as great in Arizona "out of the box" as it will in the UK on a wet day "out of the box".

That's why we used to have (and still have, to a small extent) proper old school guitar shops. A proper guitar shop will talk to a customer, and if the customer spends his hard earned cash on a beautiful expensive guitar like that, the guitar shop will set it up for the customer with his preferred string gauge, relief, action, and whatnot. If the guitar shop receives a lemon from the manufacturer or distributor, they send it back and the customer never even knows about it because it doesn't make it to the shop floor.

There is no "perfectly cut nut straight out of the box", because everyone has a different playing style, string gauge, right hand attack and resulting neck relief/setup specs, etc..

And today's business model is the big box store, on a good day, will open the box, see if all the parts are in the box and more or less where they should be on the guitar, tune it up and give it a quick strum, and send it off. More often than not, the cardboard box isn't even opened between leaving the manufacturer's warehouse and the customer's house.

If the customer is unhappy because the guitar "doesn't play perfect out of the box", he"ll either go to a decent local tech for a setup if they're lucky enough to have a good local guy and smart enough to go there, go on facebook or forums and talk to a bunch of disagreeing knowitalls/experts like ourselves who yell "PUT A TRU-ARC ON IT!" or "NO! GET A COMPTON!" "You GOTTA GET THE UNOBTANIUM NUT!" or "GET A PLEK JOB!, and more often than not the customer proceeds to screw up a perfectly good guitar with the wrong tools, bad advice, and no real clue of how a truss rod really works, or what causes fret buzz.

Or the customer sends the guitar back to the big box store and gets another example with a generic "non" setup, and eventually adjusts to that, or goes to one of the steps above again.

The guitar he sent back to the big box store will get sold on the same website to someone who feels they got a deal because they got an "almost new B-stock guitar!" for a couple of hundred less, and will then get on a forum and start asking vague questions confusing tuning with intonation, and wondering why his bridge falls off when he puts his brand new cobalt/unobtanium/plastic coated miracle strings on it. This guy too will eventually end up paying a decent tech if he can find one, or adjust to a badly setup guitar, to claim on forums later that "Gibson suck balls, man, the quality control sucks!"

Nobody wins except the big-box store shareholders, and maybe the indepent tech who can promote his business enough so that people can find him.

A guitar needs a decent pro setup by a guy who's set up more than ten guitars in his life, and there is no happy medium that will surive three climate zone transitions.

End of old-man rant. Now get off my lawn.

100% Walter, I wanted to say all that, but hate typing it out!

100% Walter, I wanted to say all that, but hate typing it out!

– JazzBoxJunky

Hahaha! I guess I was just cranky enough today to motivate myself!

I agree with Walter, too and I work at a Porsche dealer. Believe me, your car gets prepped before it gets put on the lot.

I disagree to an extent Holly, and that's part of what's wrong with today's business model.

The guitars are made in Japan, and shipped halfway across the world to the USA or to Europe. They end up in a big box online store warehouse where they spend God knows how much or how little time, and then get shipped to yet another climate/humidity zone in the wettest, hottest month of summer, or maybe right now, on one of the coldest/dryest nights we're experiencing this winter in my part of Europe.

You plain cannot build or set up a guitar that will play great "out of the box" with any string gauge, that has to withstand all that travel and all those climate shifts and play as great in Arizona "out of the box" as it will in the UK on a wet day "out of the box".

That's why we used to have (and still have, to a small extent) proper old school guitar shops. A proper guitar shop will talk to a customer, and if the customer spends his hard earned cash on a beautiful expensive guitar like that, the guitar shop will set it up for the customer with his preferred string gauge, relief, action, and whatnot. If the guitar shop receives a lemon from the manufacturer or distributor, they send it back and the customer never even knows about it because it doesn't make it to the shop floor.

There is no "perfectly cut nut straight out of the box", because everyone has a different playing style, string gauge, right hand attack and resulting neck relief/setup specs, etc..

And today's business model is the big box store, on a good day, will open the box, see if all the parts are in the box and more or less where they should be on the guitar, tune it up and give it a quick strum, and send it off. More often than not, the cardboard box isn't even opened between leaving the manufacturer's warehouse and the customer's house.

If the customer is unhappy because the guitar "doesn't play perfect out of the box", he"ll either go to a decent local tech for a setup if they're lucky enough to have a good local guy and smart enough to go there, go on facebook or forums and talk to a bunch of disagreeing knowitalls/experts like ourselves who yell "PUT A TRU-ARC ON IT!" or "NO! GET A COMPTON!" "You GOTTA GET THE UNOBTANIUM NUT!" or "GET A PLEK JOB!, and more often than not the customer proceeds to screw up a perfectly good guitar with the wrong tools, bad advice, and no real clue of how a truss rod really works, or what causes fret buzz.

Or the customer sends the guitar back to the big box store and gets another example with a generic "non" setup, and eventually adjusts to that, or goes to one of the steps above again.

The guitar he sent back to the big box store will get sold on the same website to someone who feels they got a deal because they got an "almost new B-stock guitar!" for a couple of hundred less, and will then get on a forum and start asking vague questions confusing tuning with intonation, and wondering why his bridge falls off when he puts his brand new cobalt/unobtanium/plastic coated miracle strings on it. This guy too will eventually end up paying a decent tech if he can find one, or adjust to a badly setup guitar, to claim on forums later that "Gibson suck balls, man, the quality control sucks!"

Nobody wins except the big-box store shareholders, and maybe the indepent tech who can promote his business enough so that people can find him.

A guitar needs a decent pro setup by a guy who's set up more than ten guitars in his life, and there is no happy medium that will surive three climate zone transitions.

End of old-man rant. Now get off my lawn.

– WB

I agree with you about that, but you didn't understand, what I mean. It's on Thomann, to do a good basic setup. If they won't fix it, I will get a refund for that shop, who fix it. I have nearly 40 guitars and they all are all perfectly setup by myself (Tom TV JONES told me so, when he visited my collection) I got my Gretsches from Japan, Cream City USA and from others around the world. But no guitar had this issues shown above!! But I know nothing and going out of here, before the great Jedimaster get out his lasersword : )

It's on Thomann, to do a good basic setup.

That would be what you'd want, theoretically. But in a practical sense, I don't really see how they'd do that, unless you could at least spend half an hour on the phone with their setup guy before they send a guitar out, presuming they have one. Because like I said, even just basic things like preferred string gauge and action are different for everyone.

And I believe you can set up a guitar, good for you, but an awful lot of people can't. There are quite a few things I don't attempt myself either, and I go to an experienced "guitar whisperer" for, because they have experience, knowledge, skills and tools I don't have.

From what I've seen, the "buy it online and have it shipped to your house" model works better for microwave ovens or alarm clocks than it does for guitars.

I can understand the action and relief are a bit off because of shipping, temperature and humidity changes. These are things the player can (and should be able to) fix him/herself.

That nut pinging however is something that should not happen with a guitar in this price range. I think I have expressed my concerns about poorly cut nuts before. It seems to be of a widespread industry problem.

I’ve got a 2016 6120t 55 and I had the same annoying plinking when I got it. So I used some bigbends nut sauce and it went away. It had some fret buzz but I was able to adjust most of it out. I just dont have super low action like say you’d find on an Ibanez or what have you. They certainly aren’t perfect from the factory. The nut came off mine the first time I changed out the strings and there are bubbles under the steer head logo. Sounds like your gonna have to get a pro to set it up if you don’t have the skills to do it yourself. At any rate that’s a fine looking guitar.

I am pretty good at setting up my guitars but find that a at least one trip to a really good tech at some point in a guitars life is money WELL spent. I really have no expectations of any guitar to play perfect out of the box. As Walter stated, how can it? I have my own preferences. I do play it for a while, figure out how i want it and, bring it in. I think I usually pay something like 65 bucks for a thorough going over. And yes I have even had a Gretsch, new out of the box, with a cold solder joint which needed a re-doing. Again, not the end of the world and a $20 fix. If you LOVE the guitar itself, the feel, weight, basic tone, and that stuff, just get it set up the way you like and yo are off and running. If i received a new guitar that felt great to me but had the issues in your video, I would NEVER send it back. The next one could be a dud otherwise. I guess I consider an initial set up just part of the purchase price of a new guitar.

The D and G string buzz sounds normal, but that low E sounds awful! Given that it happens over such a large area of the neck, I’m inclined to suspect a high fret on the neck extension or a faulty bridge slot. By that I mean that either the bridge is at an extreme angle, or it’s cut to the wrong size for the string gauge you’re using. If you hadn’t mentioned trying multiple sets of strings, I might suspect the string itself.

Register Sign in to join the conversation