Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120EC lefty BRIDGE QUESTION.

I brought my new Eddie Cochran Gretsch to my guitar tech to make sure it was setup properly and to help me tune it. Seems it drops a half step every few days and all string go flat. He assured me that the strings just needed to settle in. He also told me that my guitar had a compensated bridge that was designed for a wound G string. I cant find any info online to confirm his observation.

I know that Eddie played a plain G string. I'm wondering if Gretsch placed the wrong bridge on my guitar and does it really matter.

According to the Gretsch web site, the EC comes with D'Addario® EXL115 Nickel Plated Steel (.011-.049 Gauges). This set does not have a wound G string. The EC comes with a Bigsby compensated bridge, which has been working well on Gretsch guitars for many many years and doesn't require a wound G string.

My EC has no problem with intonation or tuning. All strings take a little time to settle in, and this time of year, with constant weather changes, I can tune three times a day and still it will be off. Fantastic guitar!

My bridge looks different from what I've seen on EC from the Gretsch site.

They sure look different to me. I'm wondering if they don't make a true left handed bridge. it would have to be a mirror image of yours.

Perhaps my tech was onto something. he told me to either put a wound G on or change the bridge.

Yes Mark your bridge is definitely compensated for a wound G. I don’t know if it’s because lefty’s for non-wound Gs aren’t available though. The G on your’s won’t intonate correctly as the contact point for an unwound G should be like Hoot’s pic.

Contact Fender/Gretsch or bring it to a warranty authorized tech. It may be it’s the wrong bridge and they’ll replace it under warranty or it may be that’s the bridge it comes with and it’s on you to purchase a replacement.

I've come to find out that my guitar was shipped with a Bigsby OEM left handed bridge. I found the spec's online. I've reached out to Fender to see what they want to do about it. Seems silly to me to send out a guitar with the wrong parts.

[SKU:BIG-BR-LH]

Specifications E to E String Spacing, ctr to ctr of compensation : 2 3/64 in. (52mm) Post Hole Diameter : 5/32 in. (4mm) Post to post ctr to ctr spacing : 2 13/16 in. (71.5mm) Radius : 12 in. Material : Aluminum Compensation : for wound G string 4 + 2

Yes Mark your bridge is definitely compensated for a wound G. I don’t know if it’s because lefty’s for non-wound Gs aren’t available though. The G on your’s won’t intonate correctly as the contact point for an unwound G should be like Hoot’s pic.

Contact Fender/Gretsch or bring it to a warranty authorized tech. It may be it’s the wrong bridge and they’ll replace it under warranty or it may be that’s the bridge it comes with and it’s on you to purchase a replacement.

– 66gent

do you think that the bridge on hoots could be rotated 180 to work on a lefty? its hard to tell from the picture.

do you think that the bridge on hoots could be rotated 180 to work on a lefty? its hard to tell from the picture.

– Mark6120

It could. You'd either have to get one un-notched, notched for lefty, or grind down the top a smidge and re-notch.

Your bridge looks like it's compensated for a wound g-string. I like wound g-strings, I suggest you try a set.

You might get by with a bar bridge with the stock strings.

However, contact Proteus for a Serpentune bridge.

TruArc

Lee

– Mark6120

I’d say no. Just flip the pic - or your phone - upside down and you’ll see it’s the same pattern when rotated 180 degrees

As 66gent said, flipping your current bridge will just give you the same pattern. Also, to determine if a bridge is designed for a wound g, look to see if its “stepdown” pattern is 3 and 3, or 2 and 4. (Hope that description makes sense.) If 2 and 4 it’s designed for a wound g.

Your bridge looks like it's compensated for a wound g-string. I like wound g-strings, I suggest you try a set.

You might get by with a bar bridge with the stock strings.

However, contact Proteus for a Serpentune bridge.

TruArc

Lee

– Lee Erickson

Thank you , I sent him an Email a few days but haven't heard back from him yet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation