Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120, what is the exact model?

Hello!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I'm looking to buy a used Gretsch in really mint condition. The seller thinks it' a chet Atkins model, I know it's not.

Could you help me identify what is the exact model of this guitar?

Thanks a lot!

Can't wait to own my first Gretsch!!!

Third One (sorry i'm not able to add more than one picture for each message)

Its a 2003 Japan Terada built 6120. Great guitar. Its a transition model when Fender took over Gretsch. I believe that 2003 the Chet Atkins name rights werent connected again with the Gretsch brand. That followed later on. But it actually is a Chet Atkins model guitar

Yeah! Thanks a lot! :)

I'll buy it!

During that time period the 6120's were named "Nashville". When Gretsch regained the Chet Atkins naming rights (2008?), it was once again called the "Chet Atkins..." with different variations of the 6120. As ChimingBell indicated, the guitars are/were the same.

Would you tell us the price? That's interesting too for us. Enjoy your new guitar. May you want to upgrade electronics and pickups since they certainly are up to preFMIC standards and may sound "different"

The Chet Atkins name re-appeared in late 2006 following a new deal with his estate after several years with Gibson.

If that is a pre-Fender guitar then you will probably find different bracing and a different fingerboard cantilever as well as some other minor differences.

Would you tell us the price? That's interesting too for us. Enjoy your new guitar. May you want to upgrade electronics and pickups since they certainly are up to preFMIC standards and may sound "different"

– ChimingBell

It was 1500$ can ($1150 us). Pretty good deal I think.

So, you think I should change my pickups? Any suggestion?

A good deal. I would prefer this to a Modern Player version. I have a 2008 one like this and a few other 6120's they are very good guitars. You should not be disappointed with one of these!

Were the pre-FMC guitars made by Terada?

When did assembly begin with Terada?

Were the pre-FMC guitars made by Terada?

When did assembly begin with Terada?

– Earl Knoob

Yes, they were.

Production started in 1989.

It was 1500$ can ($1150 us). Pretty good deal I think.

So, you think I should change my pickups? Any suggestion?

– chucklinus

Where in Canada did you find that guitar for that price?

Before you go spending a fair bit of money to swap out the pups, harness and knobs and switches, I suggest you play it awhile and see if it gives you what you want as far as the sound goes. What style are you playing? That could make a big difference in this guitar delivering what you want or not. What amp you're playing through will also make a huge difference so I suggest playing it through a suitable amp in listening for the tone you're after. 'suitable' may or may not be a tube amp vs SS, and perhaps one with bigger speakers.

If after living with it for awhile with a suitable amp for your sounds, then you can consider changing things out. BTW, the strings play a factor too, so make sure your evaluation is done with a fresh set of your favourites.

I have a '98 6120BS with the same hardware as yours and I haven't exactly found it wanting enough to start changing things. Whatever floats your boat!

For sure, I'll play a lot with it before considering changing anything :)

I'm really happy! I can't stop playing it! It is really a pleasure to play on such a beautiful guitar.

Someone found this picture in a 2004 catalogue Link

Register Sign in to join the conversation