Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 - TV Jones or Filtertrons

Ok, I officially have the bug...I need...well...want another Gretsch! After reading posts, reviews, listening to samples, etc I still can't make up my mind. It seems that the main difference from what I gathered is that the TV Jones pickups are a little crisper and definitive, while the Filtertrons are a bit dirtier. Is this a fair assessment?

What I am still a bit confused on is whether there are differences between the Filtertrons? For example, I read HiLo, Vintage, etc.

Any thoughts?

Had a 6120 modern version ,it had filtertrons ,nice clean good tone ,strong pickup ,all around great pickups . my current setzer hot rod has TV jones filtertrons , more bite ,edgier ,more growl , with more volume on the amp they are more aggresive with more growl . Gretsch make a 6120 LTV that also comes with TV Jones .

Thanks Rejean...that's the type of response I was hoping for.

To my ear, the 'High Sensitive' Filter'tron that comes stock on most modern Gretsch guitars is a hotter, gritter pickup compared to a TV Classic. The TV Jones Classic is certainly capable of grit, but it's generally a bit smoother, cleaner, and clear, IMHO.

My Hot Rod ,growls way more than my Tennessee Rose !

In my opinion, High Sensitivity Filtertrons are smoother and more versatile. Less "greasy rock-a-billy twang" and more suitable for jazz, pop, and classic rock. They're very under rated. They are a tad less bright and higher output than TVJ Classics. The Classic Plus, Powertron Plus, Powertron etc. seem to be higher in output but oddly have lots of brightness.

I like TVJ pickups in more specific applications. They seem to do one thing very well at the expense of versatility. For example I find Magnatrons to be a fantastic neck pickup or pickup for longer scale guitars, but I find them shrill and tinny at the bridge. consequently I have a few guitars with one TVJ guitar in them but the other might be a HS Filtertron. HS Filtertrons aren't better or worse than TVJ pickups...just different.

I'll stick with the factory filters in my 6118T. I did have a 6120 LTV when they first came out, the TV 's were to loud and not clean enough for my taste, along with that silly zero fret.

Register Sign in to join the conversation