Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 FTW Reset

Here's a late model that needs a reset.

RESET

Curt,just curious...what year is that 6120 and what was the reason for the reset?

September 04 Terada build.

The neck was starting to creep and the guitar had high action as a result along with bad sound transmission to the body.

Now what? A new Gretsch needing a neck reset......what is the average cost for a neck reset?

Guitars are built to be taken apart and this one is a 1:100,00 type of thing.

Cost, Jet needs to keep my spray booth clean for life...

I'd like to add that Jet brought this guitar to the Baltimore RU to show Joe. As no surprise Joe offered a new guitar without hesitation but Jet wanted to keep this one so a simple reset and it'll be perfect.

I wasn't meaning the cost of his repair per say...I was just wondering what a luthier would charge to reset a neck on a hollow body guitar. I find it nifty keen that some one such as your self can do these repairs. I am sure it is an art in its own rite. Looks as if you removed the fret above the neck joint...I guess then you drilled a hole in that slot to somehow get the steam around the joint.I'm sure you would have to be really careful on how much steam to use or the whole guitar could come apart or least the glued areas close to the neck pocket.

I wasn't meaning the cost of his repair per say...I was just wondering what a luthier would charge to reset a neck on a hollow body guitar. I find it nifty keen that some one such as your self can do these repairs. I am sure it is an art in its own rite. Looks as if you removed the fret above the neck joint...I guess then you drilled a hole in that slot to somehow get the steam around the joint.I'm sure you would have to be really careful on how much steam to use or the whole guitar could come apart or least the glued areas close to the neck pocket.

– DustyRoad

– DustyRoad

Well I do get paid for doing this and am working towards it being full time. Cost, I'm not going to post that here as there are always options but I will quote via email. There are many resets posted HERE where some are more detailed than others. The key is to leave your fear at home, it's a useless emotion.

My Tennessean is in Curt's collection of examples. There's no point in saying how much I paid other than to state that it was worth it. As for references, I am very happy and highly recommend him as I am sure will the other people whose guitars are shown. He also painted my 5125 avatar/guitar prior to my owning it. Two guitars, one happy camper. If you are thinking of having work done, you can have complete confidence in his work.

I'm seriously considering a reset on my 94 57 RI Jet, I think the neck is just off enough that it's jacking the action too far up.

If I could get it to play like my 96 Jet....

ahhh....hmmm.

What kind of glue was used Curt ?

– ForwardLook77

What kind of glue was used Curt ?

– ForwardLook77

Titebond like glue.

I just returned a Tarada 04 6120jr2 for the same issue. Not as bad, but seperating none the less.

I hated to, it was a beautiful example otherwise

Around here a reset averages $500. I recently had it done to my 1960 D-21.

S Mac

Gretsch used two different joints, dovetail which is pretty straight forward, pocket joint not so much and costs vary. Additionally, the screw requires extra time so it adds to the price.

Register Sign in to join the conversation