Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 Eddie Cochran

I'm bumping this up because I really dig the playing and because thus guitar is intriguing. I know that for some the p-90 is heresy, but I really dig quirky differences like this.

I only wonder if the feedback would get crazy at volume.

K

I stumbled on this thread and it got me thinking......Heres a really great thread from awhile back about P90's in Gretsch's, this time in the Bridge position unlike the EC. Great stuff

http://gretschpages.com/for...

Fingers crossed and I will own an Eddie soon pending a trade.

And at the end of this one you can hear him leaning on the P-90 (which I think sounds great!).

Not so sure about that. Looks like the selector switch is in the down position the entire time. So that would be the bridge Dyna that you are hearing.

Hi All,

Regarding Darrel Higham, and his guitar; I saw him in Melbourne (Australia) last Friday night. He was using a Japanese production 6120-EC, which I presume he's swapped the pickups out for what a TV Jones T-armond, and a T-90. I think he has an indorsement with them, but it's possible he's still got the stock pickups in it. He's also put the stiff arm on the Bigsby, which looks as though it's had the gold finish aged to match the arm. Otherwise, it looks pretty stock to me.

Darrel acquired that guitar early last year (early February from memory). I remember asking him a few questions about it on his Facebook page when he got it. He told me it got it as a gigging guitar, as he didn't want to knock his custom shop 5170 EC style Falcon, or the 6120 about on the road - can't say I blame him! I don't know if he purchased the guitar, or Gretsch gave it to him. Doesn't matter either way.

Hi All,

Regarding Darrel Higham, and his guitar; I saw him in Melbourne (Australia) last Friday night. He was using a Japanese production 6120-EC, which I presume he's swapped the pickups out for what a TV Jones T-armond, and a T-90. I think he has an indorsement with them, but it's possible he's still got the stock pickups in it. He's also put the stiff arm on the Bigsby, which looks as though it's had the gold finish aged to match the arm. Otherwise, it looks pretty stock to me.

Darrel acquired that guitar early last year (early February from memory). I remember asking him a few questions about it on his Facebook page when he got it. He told me it got it as a gigging guitar, as he didn't want to knock his custom shop 5170 EC style Falcon, or the 6120 about on the road - can't say I blame him! I don't know if he purchased the guitar, or Gretsch gave it to him. Doesn't matter either way.

– Echo-Orbit

I was curious so I contacted Darrel today.

He says currently the standard production 6120 EC he is using for work abroad is stock except for the fixed arm that he added. He got the Bigsby anodized but he said the result wasn't that great as it has already started to peel away.

He also said the stock pickups weren't offending him greatly, so he hasn't changed them yet... although he may as he finds the stock dynasonic a but underpowered and weak compared to his other Gretsches.

I just ordered his book on Eddie Cochran last week. I hope it arrives before I go on holidays.

Mike

Darrel's book on Eddie Cochran is really good. I've had a copy for years, which coincidently, I started reading again last night. I also have Bobby Cochran's book, which is very different beast to Darrel's, as it gives further insight into the Cochran family, as well as a lot of anecdotal stuff which wasn't in Darrel's book.

Many people don't really like Bobby's book as he tells a lot about his own life, and how it parallels with Eddie's. I guess some stuff could have been left out, but it's heartfelt and very interesting. Bobby is a pretty good guitar player too. He can pick just like Chet!

Great to see you got the info you were after from Darrel himself. He doesn't mind answering questions about his guitars. Seems like a really nice bloke too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation