Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 Dynasonic sound from an Anniversary with T-Armonds ?

I would love to own a Vintage Select 6120 DSW, Duane Eddy (in black) or Falcon G6136-55. My budget is more in the area of an anniversary. I play a lot of Surf, Spagetti Western, Secret Agent instro with other rock thrown in. Currently have a Duo Jet with Duncan Dynasonics that serves me well but sometimes want a bit deeper tone and something I can mess around on acoustically to come up with new riffs. I'm wondering if an Anniversary Vintage Select, or Players Edition with T-Armonds sized for the FilterTron opening would get me in that ballpark ?

I would say yes. One thing I noticed about the new Players Edition is the 6120s and the Anniversaries are all constructed the same.

Anniversaries are way underrated. They're great guitars!

Sure, they have the same general dimensions and scale, why not. On the other hand, if you're a little patient you can usually find a fairly recent Dynasonic 6120 second hand for a good price.

As silly as it sounds I guess I'd also like to avoid a bright orange guitar, which I think means any Dynasonic 6120 other than the new black Duane Eddy model which is limited and over 3 grand. I feel like I would need to get some obnoxious tatoos and a chain for my wallet. The Setzer association is just so strong. Nothing wrong with that, just not my style. Although strangely I think I could get along with a DSW and its lighter orange a bit better. The only one currently offered is the Vintage Select which has paralell tone bars. Not sure if the older ones that might come up used had the same or some other bracing.

The vintage select Annie has trestle bracing and the Players Edition has the MV bracing. I'm after a deeper and more airy and full sound than the Duo Jet, not sure which would deliver that best, or if it matters once the amp is turned up a bit.

I went ahead and bought an Anniversary Players Edition off ebay. I'll probably play with the stock filters for a month and see if anything starts to jell. I have yet to bond with a guitar with filtertrons though and really love playing my Jet with Dynasonics. So a set of T-Armonds in a filter mount is probably in the near future.

Annies have always been the poor man's 6120.

A poor man could not afford a pro-line Gretsch. Orange or green.

please keep us updated if/when you pop some dynas in there. really want to hear how that sounds.

Will do, me too. Although I don't have any quality recording gear other than the mic on my camera. I do have the Jet with Duncan Dynas to make a comparison to fwiw.

Well, immediately after the 6119-62 sold on ebay I used the funds to buy this. Players edition 6119T. So far so good. Having the Duo Jet with Dynasonics already I find I'm liking having a slightly different sound to work with. Going to play it for a month before condsidering changing pickups. The rubber tip on the Bigsby is creepy. Had to remove it.

hey congrats! Those are great guitars. I had the chance to play one just like it last weekend. I thought it sounded great as is, even with a more shallow body. I also played a Duane Eddy, which was fantastic. I would say you would get close enough to that sound if you chose the DS route. I plan to do the same on a 6120 I own as soon as some PA purchases are out of the way. You will enjoy that guitar as is too, and like you say, may complement your Duo Jet nicely.

Thanks. It does at times sound a touch muddy to my ear as I play it more, but I'm so used to single coil pickups and probably need to learn how to eq my amp better for hb pickups and probably adjust my technique too. I'm going to work with it for awhile and see what I can get out of it as is.

I've seen some clips recently of people playing with HiloTron pickups that have peaked my curiosity.

Well, immediately after the 6119-62 sold on ebay I used the funds to buy this. Players edition 6119T. So far so good. Having the Duo Jet with Dynasonics already I find I'm liking having a slightly different sound to work with. Going to play it for a month before condsidering changing pickups. The rubber tip on the Bigsby is creepy. Had to remove it.

– Gregory_Pecarry

Can I have the rubber tip. I rather enjoy creepy.

Johnny

I was wondering, too loose to stay on in use. You could go in for a wiggle and end up with a pregnant pause.

I always assumed that the rubber tip was just for shipping. It's pretty dodgy!

I think you will LOVE T-Armonds in that guitar. I have an SSLVO and tried a bridge T-Armond in it once - it was amazing. So clear and rich and twangy. Just thinking about it makes me realise T-Armonds would be great for my 6121. VERY different from a Classic TV Filter'tron.

In the 6120 I love the Classics, but if you are playing spy/surf music the T-Armonds would be wonderful. Not as rock, but soooo twangy and rich.

Register Sign in to join the conversation