Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 59LTV or 6120 Black Chet atkins?

Understood! The black one has V shape neck and sound post and HS Filtertrons

The 59 LTV has C shape neck and trestle bracing and TV Jones.

Leaving Aside the colour as iconic Orange, which are the reasons you think why I should chose the 59LTV?

Just about to decide!

Very odd that the black one would have the "V" shaped neck, and the LTV has the C neck.

Should be just the opposite.

Leaving Aside the colour as iconic Orange, which are the reasons you think why I should chose the 59LTV?

Just about to decide!

– Aticus

It seems you know the features of both models and from now on it's a matter of taste. For me it's the LTV, no doubt. Nitro finish, TV Classics, trestles (I like them). I even prefer C over V necks.

Some people can't stand the 1959s zero fret, though.

Good luck!

Just about to decide!

– Aticus

Everything I say below is personal preference, some may feel otherwise.

Lacquer - I, and a lot of others prefer it for how it feel and ages. And it's often considered an "upscale" feature.

TV Jones pickups - the majority seems to prefer TV Jones and they're more expensive.

Trestle bracing - feedback resistance, tighter, more focused tone.

Heritage - It's the closest recreation (excluding Custom Shop) of what many consider to be the ultimate golden era Gretsch, the 1959 6120.

And it's orange. I'm not very sensitive to neck shape, so that wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

Just about to decide!

– Aticus

You said it yourself: lacquer, trestles, TV Jones. This one's a no brainer.

The LTV certainly as said probably the closest to a classic Gretsch.I assume import duty payable as here in Uk puts price up by 25% plus.I had a black 6120 as stock and regretted selling it.As the one you've seen is upgraded with TV Jones if that's correct would be a great buy at that price,might need tweaking with radious of bridge to fingerboard, consider a Tru Arc Serpentune maybe. I bought myself a 6119 players model and a 2007 6120 DSV which I'd say is my Jewel.

How much knowledge you guys throw here!! Thanks Cowboy!

Decided then to pass on the black 6120 and go for the 6120 orange.

Now I have 2 at nearly same price...

A 1990 6120-60 with cerámic pups (guy did not put tv Jones cause he prefered ceramics) or a 2005 59LTV

Everybody here will choose a 2005 over the 1990? Or any dissident? Jeje

Everybody here will choose a 2005 over the 1990?

Absolutely. If you want a 6120 with FilterTrons, you can't do better than an LTV. It's the top of the line.

Anything after 2003 will have a body shape more faithful to original ‘50s Gretsch specs. Pickups and electronics will be better quality. You can’t go wrong with this. I love my 6120 LTV.

I'd quit thinking and grab that LTV immediately. If it's priced at 1450€ in Europe, it's not going to be available for very long.

The LTV is gone. argh. Owner wrote me today saying that he realized is was a bargain and had a guy paying more. A pity

The LTV is gone. argh. Owner wrote me today saying that he realized is was a bargain and had a guy paying more. A pity

I'd quit thinking and grab that LTV immediately. If it's priced at 1450€ in Europe, it's not going to be available for very long.

– Afire

Jajaja Afire... i was laughing at the photo. Will wait for another to show up... A newer 59VS is also a good one I guess ...

A newer 59VS is also a good one I guess ...

Definitely. You can get this model new or barely used all day long and I'm sure it's as good, if not better, than the '05, but it's too bad you missed such a good deal.

I close the deal yesterday but the owner suddenly thought it was a bad price and instead of contacting me accepted other offer. I could have got angry but I’m pretty sure that is worst you can do for your own health in this life....

In the meanwhile I have a 2001 6119 available for 1400$ clos to here.. TV Jones in the bridge and ceramic in the neck that sounds superb. Could be a great one perhaps?

I close the deal yesterday but the owner suddenly thought it was a bad price and instead of contacting me accepted other offer. I could have got angry but I’m pretty sure that is worst you can do for your own health in this life....

In the meanwhile I have a 2001 6119 available for 1400$ clos to here.. open F holes, TV Jones in the bridge and ceramic in the neck that sounds superb. Could be a great one perhaps?

I've had that happen to me and it is infuriating, but you're right, getting angry doesn't accomplish anything.

Register Sign in to join the conversation