Modern Gretsch Guitars

6120 59LTV or 6120 Black Chet atkins?

Hi again, Im buying a couple of gretsch cause we have incredible price here this week in Spain!

I just bought a 89 6122 CClassic and I want to buy a second one from the fender years... a 6120. Which will you choose if these 2? I can’t try both. Here examples...

1. Gretsch G6120-1959LTV Chet Atkins Hollowbody 2005 ( nitrocellulose)

https://applink.reverb.com/...

2. 2007 Black Chet Atkins ( gloss urethane) https://www.guitarristas.in...

Both are around 1450€. Very cheap. Thanks very much for helping!

That 6120-1959LTV is in the U.S. But if you can find one in Europe for €1450 I highly recommend grabbing it as quickly as you can. I would. It's top-of-the-line.

The '59 will be true to original spec. Orange is awesome and traditional and rockabilly. But the black with all gold hardware looks great, has more modern tuners, adjustable bridge. But all being equal this is an aesthetic choice.

6120-59LTV's are my favorite 6120's hands down. IMO, probably the nicest 6120 model produced.

The '59 will be true to original spec. Orange is awesome and traditional and rockabilly. But the black with all gold hardware looks great, has more modern tuners, adjustable bridge. But all being equal this is an aesthetic choice.

– jps1965

I don't want to be too picky but the 1959LTV is neither vintage spec correct nor is the difference between both guitars mostly asthetic. But I'm with JD. I'd choose the LTV anytime.

I don't want to be too picky but the 1959LTV is neither vintage spec correct nor is the difference between both guitars mostly asthetic. But I'm with JD. I'd choose the LTV anytime.

– sascha

To the OP: There have been a few differences in LTV specs over the years of FMIC producing them.

Some early models had the 9.5" radius neck, then they went to the 12" radius. IIRC, the zero fret has been standard on all models, and the "vintage V" shaped neck has been too. Some question on the latest neck shapes, but at least up until a few years ago, the "V" was the shape.

Trestle bracing, TV Classics, "V" cut Bigsby, along with the lacquer finish was also standard. Headstock overlays have differed some at times, but overall, as Sascha stated while not totally to vintage correct, pretty darn close in many ways.

Comparing these two black and orange 6120's that you're looking at, is more than just 6120's in a different color.

For me, the feel of the "V" neck is just "it". Adding the other LTV features just makes them my favorites, hands down.

LTV if I had to choose just one.

LTV, no brainer, IMO.

LTV, no brainer, IMO.

– Afire

100%

Following your help I will go for the LTV! I see it clearly I really appreciated

LTV is the greatest Fender-era Gretsch

6120-59LTV's are my favorite 6120's hands down. IMO, probably the nicest 6120 model produced.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Certainly since the introduction of the electrotone body. [ducks]

Certainly since the introduction of the electrotone body. [ducks]

– Kap'n

LOL...........................and second on my list is the 6122-58!

If they made a "LTV" version of the -58, it would be the ultimate modern Electrotone bodied Gretsch.

The LTV checks all the boxes. Looks, plays, sounds, and feels just right for me. This model is close to a vintage Gretsch, but the new ones don’t need the neck re-set the day they leave the factory.

Awesome info! I have to say thanks again everyone. This one has a C shape neck. I have 3 more doubts....

1. Does the black 6120 also have trestle Bracing Or just the LTV?

2. Does the nitrocellulose laquer improves sound over the urethane gloss finish?

3. What you LTV owners string gauge and barns use in your guitars? I play classic rock Petty Orbison Elvis setzer(I tried one with 11/49 that was just perfect so I plan to say luthier do set up before sending but appreciate your opinions first)

1. The regular modern G6120 model (which the black one is) does not have trestle bracing.

2. No, they do not sound different for that reason.

3. I play 11-49/50 on all of my Gretsch guitars and that's about perfect for me.

If you shouldn't like the LTV send me a note. I might take it off your hands. I'm in Europe, too.

LOL...........................and second on my list is the 6122-58!

If they made a "LTV" version of the -58, it would be the ultimate modern Electrotone bodied Gretsch.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I've always thought of the single-cutaway Country Gent as pretty much the pinnacle of Gretsch evolution. It's the one model that incorporates every functionally useful improvement Gretsch made before jumping the shark and turning to gimmicks. It's too bad they've never really done an accurate reissue of this model.

I've always thought of the single-cutaway Country Gent as pretty much the pinnacle of Gretsch evolution. It's the one model that incorporates every functionally useful improvement Gretsch made before jumping the shark and turning to gimmicks. It's too bad they've never really done an accurate reissue of this model.

– Afire

Agreed. If an accurate RI came out with the "QM" top and LTV features, I would have to consider retiring a month or two later than I now am planning. LOL

I'll just have to be happy with the -58 RI Gent that I have. Not accurate to the '58 in many ways, but I do love it, and I am SO ready to quit working full time.

The owner of the 6120 Black Chet Atkins atkins 2007 says that his guitar has trestle bracing but I can’t find clear info in the web about it...

Anyone have any idea if it has or not?

Normally it should be a sound-post guitar. But you never know with Gretsch. If the seller has a smartphone he can easily take a picture through the f-hole.

Not the best picture (a little light wouldn't have hurt) but I think I see a sound-post.

What’s a sound post ?

I found it in the pages. I understand now. Sorry for asking before reading!

That's a small piece of wood connecting top and back of the body.

Trestle bracing looks like this:

Register Sign in to join the conversation