Modern Gretsch Guitars

6119T-62 question

Just purchased a Tennessee Rose 6119t-62 - not sure on controls - everything indicates a master volume on the cutaway below the pick guard but it seems more like a tone control - tech support was no help - anyone have a clue?

If your guitar is standard then there is a master volume on the cutaway. On the lower bout there are two knobs and a switch. The knobs are individual volume controls for the two pickups. The switch is a standby switch which, if I remember correctly was off-on-off. On the upper top bout there are two switches. The one closest to the fingerboard is the pickup selector switch. The other is a tone switch. The older ones had capacitor settings of 0.1mf and 0.047mf. This led them to be referred to as a mud switch. Current models are more moderate 0.012mf and 0.0039mf. Which are more subtle values. The middle position is with the switch defeated. The lower the value, the less "mud" is introduced.

Sometimes backing off the volume on any volume pot will do subtle things to the overall tone -- this is especially true the louder you go.

Sometimes backing off the volume on any volume pot will do subtle things to the overall tone -- this is especially true the louder you go.

– lx

On my Super Chet, I have a tone control, no mud switch. To achieve the sound I want with both pups selected. I have the neck pup full up and the bridge pup backed off just enough till I hear a slightly less 'bright' edge to the sound/tone. Chet did the same thing.

If your guitar is standard then there is a master volume on the cutaway. On the lower bout there are two knobs and a switch. The knobs are individual volume controls for the two pickups. The switch is a standby switch which, if I remember correctly was off-on-off. On the upper top bout there are two switches. The one closest to the fingerboard is the pickup selector switch. The other is a tone switch. The older ones had capacitor settings of 0.1mf and 0.047mf. This led them to be referred to as a mud switch. Current models are more moderate 0.012mf and 0.0039mf. Which are more subtle values. The middle position is with the switch defeated. The lower the value, the less "mud" is introduced.

– Don Birchett

All correct except the master volume only rolls off the high end a bit - volume stays the same - corresponding with Gretsch tech support now to see if they have a clue. Thanks for replies!

Register Sign in to join the conversation