Modern Gretsch Guitars

6118T-LTV

For a few minutes there, maybe around 2013, give or take, Gretsch released an Anniversary model called the 6118T-LTV, not to be confused with the 6118T-125 or any of the more recent 6118 models with trestle bracing, or the Player's Edition guitars.

The guitar I'm referring to had a two-tone smoke green lacquer finish, TV Jones Classics, and trestle bracing. I think that a few of these labeled as standard 6118T went out the door as well.

I would love to hear from anyone who owns or has owned one, just to get your opinion. Anyone?

It was a cool modification to the standard 6118T. The difference isn’t super noticeable, but I’ll admit I have a soft spot for the idea of lacquer. Still, I love my 6118T and haven’t been tempted to move away from it to an LTV.

At this point I'd like either one. I have a nice 6118T-120 up for sale because the neck is just too thin for me; the width is fine but the thickness from the back of the neck to the fingerboard is really a tad too shy. For anyone into thin necks, it would be the perfect Annie.

I had a Fuji-Gen made Annie for years that sounded great, but I got tired of dealing with their shallow neck angle. Now I have this 120th Anniversary with the slim neck and a pretty cool 6125 conversion to a 6118T from 1960. It's kinda like an old car; there's always something, so I'm looking for a solid Terada built 6118T.

The newer Vintage Select seems great except they put the neck pickup back an inch or so from the end of the fingerboard, like the original 1960 version. That was the deal breaker for me, because it had everything else that I like. The 135th Annie is real nice, but the colour is not for me. I'm sure one will come up sooner or later.

At this point I'd like either one. I have a nice 6118T-120 up for sale because the neck is just too thin for me; the width is fine but the thickness from the back of the neck to the fingerboard is really a tad too shy. For anyone into thin necks, it would be the perfect Annie.

I have owned a 6118-120 (aka Bamboo Annie) and I'm really surprised to see their neck shapes seem to be all over the place. The one on mine was not slim at all for a Gretsch - and I cannot stand thin necks. It was a very (!) soft V but people describe theirs totally different. It's hard to choose a favourite model with that amount of inconsistency.

I have owned a 6118-120 (aka Bamboo Annie) and I'm really surprised to see their neck shapes seem to be all over the place. The one on mine was not slim at all for a Gretsch - and I cannot stand thin necks. It was a very (!) soft V but people describe theirs totally different. It's hard to choose a favourite model with that amount of inconsistency.

– sascha

I know what you mean. I had one a long time ago that had the soft V neck. This one is a really nice C, but just too thin for me.

What sort of issues did you encounter with the neck angle on the Fugi-Gen Anniversary? I've been in the hunt for one of those for a while, but maybe I need to rethink my strategy.

I have a 2003 6118-T-120 and I don't think the neck is noticeably thin.

What sort of issues did you encounter with the neck angle on the Fugi-Gen Anniversary? I've been in the hunt for one of those for a while, but maybe I need to rethink my strategy.

I have a 2003 6118-T-120 and I don't think the neck is noticeably thin.

– Caliban335

Well, the neck angle on the Anniversary models was very shallow, and I had one of the Fuji-Gen 6120 models with the same issue. I had to remove wood from the braces to get the neck pickup lowered to where I liked it, and the bridge was always moving up and down when bending strings due to the shallow break angle of the strings. Violin resin helped, and I guess I could have pinned the bridges, but I just got tired of dealing with it. Too bad, because they were built like the old Brooklyn made ones; very light and responsive. I speculated that when they set up their template, they might have used an old Brooklyn made one that was on the verge of needing a neck reset. When I contacted Fuji-Gen about this, they said that they couldn't discuss anything related to Gretsch as they no longer made their guitars. I assume there was a non-disclosure agreement signed at some point. Otherwise, they are very nice guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation