Modern Gretsch Guitars

2014 G6120 Chet Atkins model# 2401250812 comments

Recently picked up a 2014 G6120. I think it's a model# 2401250812. Orange stain, Filtertrons, gold hardware, sound post bracing. Plays great. I did reset the pickup pole pieces to suggested heights from TV Jones website. Wondering if anyone has suggested mods or other comments.

Maybe look in to a tru arc bridge. Or a reverend soft spring for the bigsby. But if your happy with it just relax and let your self enjoy that beautiful instrument.

Recently picked up a 2014 G6120. I think it's a model# 2401250812. Orange stain, Filtertrons, gold hardware, sound post bracing. Plays great. I did reset the pickup pole pieces to suggested heights from TV Jones website. Wondering if anyone has suggested mods or other comments.

– JohnnyBluestone

First off, welcome to all things Gretsch! That number you've given us would appear to be the serial number. What's the model designation to go along with 6120?.....the 6120 has a lot of different models.

What style of music are you playing with this fine new [to you] Gretsch? I'm curious....what type of mods do you feel a guitar of this quality might need, aside from the suggestions of Nicholas?

It's the part number which equals a G6120 Chet Atkins Hollow Body.

Thanks NJ. I can't find the specs that say what the nut material is but if at some point you need to change out the nut, say to spread the string spacing a bit more, put in a bone nut if it doesn't have one now. They can crow all they want about the plastic Delrin being as good as bone but it's not. Plastic is plastic and bone is bone and harder than plastic - better tone and resonance with open strings. The outer slots pretty much line up with their tuning keys but make sure the inner 4 slots are angled towards their respected tuners. This ensures that the break point for the strings is at the front edge of the nut, not the back edge.

One other small change you could do which isn't a mod, just a swapping of parts is to put a Chet or Duane arm on the Bigsby.

Could be a phone number.

– Bob Howard

There is that. Good catch Bob.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm considering Sperzel locking tuners. Might also try a Chet arm.

Register Sign in to join the conversation