Modern Gretsch Guitars

1995 Gretsch Duo Jet

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1995 Gretsch Duo Jet for a great price. Should I pick it up or continue to look for a Fender era guitar? Keep in mind, this will be my first guitar and I want to make sure that I buy one I won't want to replace.

Are you able to try it first? Pre Fender Gretsch guitars are still very good guitars. The main thing FMIC did was to return them closer to traditional specs. If you play it and it feels good and sounds good to you then you should be happy with it.

Are you able to try it first? Pre Fender Gretsch guitars are still very good guitars. The main thing FMIC did was to return them closer to traditional specs. If you play it and it feels good and sounds good to you then you should be happy with it.

– BuddyHollywood

Thank you for the reply. I was offered the Duo Jet in great condition for 1100. I wasn't sure whether to go for that or hold on on a new model. I absolutely love the way the Duo Jets look and sound. Hopefully, I can do it justice.

Offer $900.00

It will be a great guitar at that price.

Offer $900.00

It will be a great guitar at that price.

– crowbone

Agree with our friend, crowbone. Be sure to check the weight, too. The pre-FMIC Jets tend to be on the heavy side as they weren't as chambered as the newer models.

I say this as someone who owns two pre-FMIC jets - but if you have a burning itch for an FMIC but want to "settle" for a pre-FMIC because it's cheaper I would wait and pick up an FMIC.

The pre-FMIC guitars are great in their own right, but if you're the type of person who can't rest because your're left with that nagging question, "Should I have waited" then just wait.

All the above are great suggestions, the weight (and body shape) is the primary/notable difference.

I really like the neck construction on the pre-FMIC version; it's built much like a 6120 neck rather than a 1-piece like a Les Paul. Swapping out the mini-pots isn't vital as long as they are working well, and the mid-90s ones get the ceramic Filters which are great for distortion.

Question to owners of both the pre-FMIC and FMIC versions: How do the necks compare in terms of profile and depth? My 6120-60 has a slightly beefier neck than any FMIC model I‘ve played so far. Same for Jets? Thanks.

I played two early 90s Silver Jets and they both had slightly wider, flatter necks than I like. Other than that they were very good guitars although much more Les Paul like (heavy solid body) than later Jets.

I haven't spent enough time with an FMIC jet to compare, I wouldn't say wide but I have an ibanez and it's got a wiiiide neck. lol

I just played a Dyna equipped late 90s silverjet today.

It had the small headstock and hump inlays. Felt lightish to me, under 8 . Neck was quiet wide and deep.

It sounded and played amazingly . It was at a shop and priced higher than I’ve seen FMIC guitars so I felt hesitant to purchase. But it was an exceptional specimen and one of the best jets I’ve played,,, but they are harder to sell here and I know how often I change my mind ...

It was double what they are asking for yours btw. But we pay more for guitars than you do in the USA

Please let us know how you go if you buy it

I say this as someone who owns two pre-FMIC jets - but if you have a burning itch for an FMIC but want to "settle" for a pre-FMIC because it's cheaper I would wait and pick up an FMIC.

The pre-FMIC guitars are great in their own right, but if you're the type of person who can't rest because your're left with that nagging question, "Should I have waited" then just wait.

All the above are great suggestions, the weight (and body shape) is the primary/notable difference.

– Devil's Tool

This is EXACTLY my fear, LOL!

After seeing the guitar, it wasn't actually a Duo Jet. It was a Jet Firebird. So, basically the same, mostly. I did call Fender with the serial number and verify the date of manufacture and the model.

The biggest problem I am having is that, in this area, Gretsch are hard to find used. Really hard. So, finding one in great condition is really hard to pass up.

I really appreciate all the replies. I may still go for the deal if he will lower the price, like you all have suggested.

From a complete newb, thank you so much to all of you.

Ive played a few 90s jets, but never owned one, fwiw... They are great guitars if you dont care about vintage "accuracy." They are definitely heavy, but a few artists have made great recordings with pre-fmic gretsch guitars, most notably reverend horton heat. He played a pre-fmic 6120 for most of his classic recordings and they sound sick, so it really just comes down to what you want; vintage correct or just a badass gretsch? I own a 53 VS jet, but have been scouring reverb for a 90s one, just to have both worlds

Register Sign in to join the conversation